Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do you know what ute this is?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
And have in mind it could be either a side valve engine in it or OHV from the factory.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
This thread could develop sideways. :D
If it is still on the road today, it may well have a Holden 253 or 308 in it. A Morris Minor Monaro :confused:

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
So Holden and Chevy both had utes out in 1951?

I have a letter my Pop wrote that states he bought a 1951 Holden utility. It also lists every other Holden he owned, which from what I can tell was most of them (sedans cause he got married ;)) up until 1991 when he bought the VN (in my profile pic). What I'm trying to guess is if the car in the picture was his first ute. Also now trying to guess if Pop would mix Holden and Chevy up/use them interchangeably.

I think so. 1951 was three years after the launch of the first Holden. Others more in the know will correct me but I think GM sold other brands in Australia such as Olds but eventually the success of Holden led to them not persisting with the other brands here.

Serra16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 Omega Z series
I'm actually gobsmacked that you guys could give me so much info about both cars. So grateful!!

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
MM? You mean the car in the back ground? You can tell what it is??

Yes, its stick out like a sore thumb,
its all got to do with design, Window shapes, Door Handle & Body lines, especially the bonnet and guard shape, especially on the MM.

Probably drove [the MM] it up on to a couple of planks that were supported by timber, or bricks on those days.
People couldn't afford ramps.

Last edited:

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Doing my traineeship in Sydney in the 60's we had a pooled money car bought on Paramatta Road for $50, a 1948 Chevrolet Sedan with suicide doors and on the drivers side sill was a plaque, Body by Fisher. The brake fluid reservoir was under the drivers floor built into the chassis rail from memory.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Not just that. It is the high performance 2 door coupe version known as the Mighty Morry. ( or Morrie) :rolleyes:

I'm actually gobsmacked that you guys could give me so much info about both cars. So grateful!!

In hindsight, I had better explain that my reply was in jest.
The 2 door version of anything back then was the poverty pack, not a performance coupe. Sorry :(

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
i knew a person years ago who was a self taught panel beater. He was always on the lookout for Morris Minor parts because they had so many curves.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
In the 60’s a mate of mine had a Morris Minor.
The earlier models had headlights in the grill. On the newer models the headlights were on the guards so we got the earlier grill and had a 4 headlight MM.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
In the 60’s a mate of mine had a Morris Minor.
The earlier models had headlights in the grill. On the newer models the headlights were on the guards so we got the earlier grill and had a 4 headlight MM.
The chrome trim around the headlight was the same as a Mk 11 Jag. Lot cheaper to buy a Morris Minor or Mini one than a Jag.