Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does series 2 bimodal exhaust drone if open permanently?

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
100% not placebo. I can clearly hear it suddenly get louder when it hits 3k rpm.

Stick it in first, accelerate up to 2500rpm, then very slowly creep it past 3000rpm and you'll instantly hear it get louder.

It could be that it's not doing it on yours. Mine is an SSV though, not a Redline. Either the Redlines don't do it, or yours is busted, or yours is doing it and you just can't tell.

rouseabout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 in Red Hot, waiting for my VF11 SS
From what I gather, the exhausts and setups are the same on all of the VF11's. I've had my relay out for a few months and love it around town. I recently did a trip from Adelaide to Canberra and didn't find any droning. I could hear the exhaust but it certainly wasn't an issue.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
100% not placebo. I can clearly hear it suddenly get louder when it hits 3k rpm.

Stick it in first, accelerate up to 2500rpm, then very slowly creep it past 3000rpm and you'll instantly hear it get louder.

It could be that it's not doing it on yours. Mine is an SSV though, not a Redline. Either the Redlines don't do it, or yours is busted, or yours is doing it and you just can't tell.
I think what your describing is the "sound enhancer tube" that runs from the intake to the cabin (into the firewall) it has a diaphragm that opens at exactly......you guessed it....3000rpm! if you want even more noise, there is a sponge type thing just inside the end of the sound enhancer tube, just close enough that you can grab it with a set of needle nose pliers. oh and my cars a SSV redline, a redline is still an SSV by the way. But as I said before, the exhaust soliniods function as designed. Turn off the sports mode when you car is idling and rev it slowly to just under 3000rpm - according to your logic the exhaust note should sound no different to what note your experiencing with the fuse in and sports mode on. It's way more quiet between idle and 3000 rpm with the flaps shut, doesn't even sound like the same car in non sports mode, however select sports mode and even on idle you can hear the flaps are open, and open they stay. Honestly yes, after 3000rpm there is more cabin noise, but it's due to the engine enhancer pipe and diaphram, not a case of the valves that are clearly open on idle, suddenly shutting when you take off and then reopening at 3000rpm

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
No, it's not the sound enhancer. That only opens up if you open the throttle enough. You could have it at 5000rpm but if your foot is only lightly on the accelerator, you won't be hearing the sound enhancer. Flip-side, you can hear that as soon as you put your foot on the gas, at any RPM, including stand-still take off @ 1500rpm.

If you really want I'll video tape to show you the difference. But really, you're the only person who I've ever come across who said that this whole thing is false. But there are plenty of threads/posts discussing it on these forums and others.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
No, it's not the sound enhancer. That only opens up if you open the throttle enough. You could have it at 5000rpm but if your foot is only lightly on the accelerator, you won't be hearing the sound enhancer. Flip-side, you can hear that as soon as you put your foot on the gas, at any RPM, including stand-still take off @ 1500rpm.

If you really want I'll video tape to show you the difference. But really, you're the only person who I've ever come across who said that this whole thing is false. But there are plenty of threads/posts discussing it on these forums and others.

I've yet to see a video point up the rear pipes that shows the flaps closing at any point with sports mode on in a Vf2 is all. when I turn it off I get no cackle, zip, nada. but I drive with sports mode on always and even with light driving, when I take off and change gear, (I'm talking a 1500rpm gear shift) you can quite clearly hear the flaps are open and it cackles and pops). I've seen and read various threads, and quite frankly some people have it wrong about the Vf2. One guy was saying that the flaps always return to the closed position when the car is off....well that's not true at all, the way I park my SSVR, when I drive up and park behind it, the sun is shining in such a way that I can quite clearly see up the rear pipes very well, and you can see the flaps on my car are in the open position. maybe the earlier variants that were vacuum operated functioned in this way, but the Vf2 with electronically operated soliniods stay open. another guy was telling everyone they require power to stay open, again that's not true and he was basically spreading misinformation. Finally I read that people were pulling fuses out, that's when I got serious and went out to my car and conducted various tests to see what was what, (not just what it sounds like by my ear drum) and I found that lots of people are just straight out wrong about these things. The solenoids stay open when set to sport mode, even when the car is off! Then me and another person tested the theory about the valve shutting between idle to 3000rpm, tests concluded this is also false! so we tested 3000rpm up to near redline, again flaps stayed open in sport mode. In fact the only time they move is when sports mode is switched off, and they stayed shut no matter the revs as expected. I basically felt compelled to comment as I hate seeing people spread false info to others that don't know any better, and pulling fuses out for no reason is only taking away the owners options to enter quiet mode when desired. Again earlier vacuum operated bimodial exhausts may operate differently, but the misconceptions about the electric operated ones are simply not true. Who started the rumour that they are "open at idle in sports mode, then close at some random rpm, then open back up at 3000rpm?"

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Stuey81, I picked up my Redline today and have sports mode activated. I actually looked up the pipes when the car was parked in my garage and you are quite correct, the flaps are open.
I think the misconception comes from the original video that Holden released when VFII came out, you can hear the exhaust note change from idle, when taking off it goes quite, then gets loud when the driver is up it.
I'm happy with the way mine sounds with sport mode on, I did intend to pull the fuse but now don't see any reason too.

Here is a pic

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/dgp8/IMG_4567_zpsfxeezpj7.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

That's weird, the photo bucket IMG link won't work.

Last edited:

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
when I take off and change gear, (I'm talking a 1500rpm gear shift) you can quite clearly hear the flaps are open and it cackles and pops
I actually looked up the pipes when the car was parked in my garage and you are quite correct, the flaps are open.

Idle - flaps open
Under load - flaps open
Above 3000rpm - flaps open

If its a light engine load and under 3000rpm, but not idle, then flaps are partially closed.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
y
I've yet to see a video point up the rear pipes that shows the flaps closing at any point with sports mode on in a Vf2 is all. when I turn it off I get no cackle, zip, nada. but I drive with sports mode on always and even with light driving, when I take off and change gear, (I'm talking a 1500rpm gear shift) you can quite clearly hear the flaps are open and it cackles and pops). I've seen and read various threads, and quite frankly some people have it wrong about the Vf2. One guy was saying that the flaps always return to the closed position when the car is off....well that's not true at all, the way I park my SSVR, when I drive up and park behind it, the sun is shining in such a way that I can quite clearly see up the rear pipes very well, and you can see the flaps on my car are in the open position. maybe the earlier variants that were vacuum operated functioned in this way, but the Vf2 with electronically operated soliniods stay open. another guy was telling everyone they require power to stay open, again that's not true and he was basically spreading misinformation. Finally I read that people were pulling fuses out, that's when I got serious and went out to my car and conducted various tests to see what was what, (not just what it sounds like by my ear drum) and I found that lots of people are just straight out wrong about these things. The solenoids stay open when set to sport mode, even when the car is off! Then me and another person tested the theory about the valve shutting between idle to 3000rpm, tests concluded this is also false! so we tested 3000rpm up to near redline, again flaps stayed open in sport mode. In fact the only time they move is when sports mode is switched off, and they stayed shut no matter the revs as expected. I basically felt compelled to comment as I hate seeing people spread false info to others that don't know any better, and pulling fuses out for no reason is only taking away the owners options to enter quiet mode when desired. Again earlier vacuum operated bimodial exhausts may operate differently, but the misconceptions about the electric operated ones are simply not true. Who started the rumour that they are "open at idle in sports mode, then close at some random rpm, then open back up at 3000rpm?"
Stuey81, I picked up my Redline today and have sports mode activated. I actually looked up the pipes when the car was parked in my garage and you are quite correct, the flaps are open.
I think the misconception comes from the original video that Holden released when VFII came out, you can hear the exhaust note change from idle, when taking off it goes quite, then gets loud when the driver is up it.
I'm happy with the way mine sounds with sport mode on, I did intend to pull the fuse but now don't see any reason too.

Here is a pic

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/dgp8/IMG_4567_zpsfxeezpj7.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

That's weird, the photo bucket IMG link won't work.

congratulations on your new car matey, and thank Christ someone else had a look up the pipes and backed me up here lol I didn't want to come off as being a dick, I just didn't want people pulling out their fuses for no reason after I discovered what many people were saying wasn't right.

about your photo, I just use the forum "upload a file" option, then click full image and it should pop up

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Here's another try at the pic the car is up on stands and turned off
IMG_4567.JPG

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
came across an interesting read... from media.gm.com
when talking about the new exhaust it says,

"The newly introduced bi-modal exhaust is activated using a button on VFII’s eight-inch colour touch-screen and intelligently detects driver input to create a distinct and unmistakable engine symphony"....

I still think it sound's different fuse in V fuse out, depending on how its been driven.