Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does the Timing Chain problem only affect certain models?

aconre8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore wagon
There have been improvements in the chain design from VE Alloytec to VE LLT and VE/VF LFX, however we're still doing our fair share of SIDI timing chain replacements. Even with the chain upgrade and PVC system there are still chains stretching even on the VF V6's, we average around 6-8 TCK replacements a week and out of those at least 3-4 are SIDI motors. The LLT seems to be the worst out of the SIDI's, they are also prone to really bad knock on cheap fuel, and VERY prone to eating bottom end bearings. Where as the Alloytec was never that bad.
Wow! So is there a 6cyl Commodore after echotech that's worth buying? It seems ever since alloytech, there's nothing but issues.
I was about to buy an immaculate VZ wagon SVZ a few weeks ago, but the alloytech issues stopped me from doing so.
Looks like the only good commies were echotech or anything V8.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Looks like the only good commies were echotech or anything V8
You haven't read any of the threads on v8's? Valve train (not sure if that is the correct term?) piston slap are a couple of issues that l recall.

Also there are owners who haven't had any trouble with their v8's.

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
They are good engines, they just need to be serviced more regulary, every 7.5-10kms. The oil filters are tiny on them and are often passed their used by when you hit 10k. V8's have their fair share of lifter issues.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's as much a case of "poor servicing and cost cutting mechanics and owners with no idea" have given Alloytecs a bad name. Mine is spotless inside and surprise surprise has not had an issue with timing chains in its 280,000 ks.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I would agree that correct servicing seems to be the clue to no problems.

aconre8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore wagon
They are good engines, they just need to be serviced more regulary, every 7.5-10kms. The oil filters are tiny on them and are often passed their used by when you hit 10k. V8's have their fair share of lifter issues.
So when buying a VZ-VE, what can you look for to make sure you're not about to get stung with timing chain issues a few months later? I really like the look of the VZ.

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
So when buying a VZ-VE, what can you look for to make sure you're not about to get stung with timing chain issues a few months later? I really like the look of the VZ.

Best thing to do is try driving it for a few hours if possible, turn the car on/off as many times as you can, some of the codes like P0008, P0009, P0017, P0018 only come on if the ECU has detected a fault twice within a certain time frame. Some shops/places will clear the codes and they won't come back in for a day or so, by that time you may have already purchased it.

If you can get your hands on a good scan tool you might be able to see codes that have recently been cleared in the "history", I use VCM Scanner when looking at codes!

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Buy a car from a respectable person who looks after the car and keeps it in good condition and hasn't dressed it up like a boy racer. Ask them who services it and test their knowledge.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I have a 2005 190kw engine.
Does that mean I have the better chains to begin with and if anyone knows, does that mean a lot less chance of chain failure?
Has done 172000 so far but it's always in the back of my mind , scaring me.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I have a 2005 190kw engine.
Does that mean I have the better chains to begin with and if anyone knows, does that mean a lot less chance of chain failure?
Has done 172000 so far but it's always in the back of my mind , scaring me.
What colour is the oil?
Just keep up the oil changes with full synthetic and drive it. Dirty cheap oil and short trips will kill it faster than anything.