Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Double row timing chain alignment

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
The site is L67 Torque.

I left the tensioner hole unplugged, as for the balance Shaft I just removed the cog and left the shaft in there so I didn't need to block anything.

njames

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Cheers Utel67 I found it

For future reference if anyone else experiences similar issues the thread on l67 Torque
With useful info is called: XPHot to double rollmaster fit up problems.

njames

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
So pretty pissed with the outcome, does anyone actually measure the alignment of the gears when they install double row timing chains? As far as I can tell they have a manufacturing defect. I read about this before purchasing the timing chain on the fourm mentioned but the post was from 2011 so thought they’d have there **** together by now, guess not. Got some bearing blue to confirm the cam gear was sliding all the way on that was all good, but the crank gear sits to far in towards the block and it’s not even machined properly, it’s sitting on the chamfer of the crank so if it was machined correctly it would sit even further back and be even more misaligned, just wondering if anyone else has recently installed a double chain kit and checked this. Is there any point contacting mace and getting a replacement or are all kits fucked? I don’t think it should be upto me to get a shim custom made to fix there shitty machining

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I looked at trying to get a double row and was told no can do on a VR. I am about to order a standard chain just a better quality one than the original factory chain.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Best to have a chat with Mace, they are pretty good at working out a solution as i have found.

njames

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Spoke to Steve from mace and he said I’m going to need a shim... not much help there haha recommended a few places which I rang that told me there suppliers didn’t stock anything I needed

Anyone know where I would be able to find a 0.35mm shim with an ID of min 39mm and OD of 44mm

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try a bolt place. My local, supplies shims and even sell shim paper to make your own. A place that sells gearbox parts use shims all the time.

njames

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Try a bolt place. My local, supplies shims and even sell shim paper to make your own. A place that sells gearbox parts use shims all the time.

Yeah fair enough mate I’ll have a ring around, cheers for pointing me in the right direction

njames

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
so can’t find shims anywhere, contacted rollmaster and I’m sending it back and they’re going to check for machining defects, looks like my engine build is going to be delayed for a month thanks to this, if your going to get a double rollmaster chain %100 check alignment and be prepaired to be fucked around