Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DRL dimmed with headlights on (How to Guide)

hsv_r8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 R8 SV
I thought the DRL's on the Gen-F HSV's dimmed when the headlights come on, though I am not 100% sure.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I thought the DRL's on the Gen-F HSV's dimmed when the headlights come on, though I am not 100% sure.

You are correct.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hey guys finaly got around to fitting a dimmer relay, after a few ups and downs she working.
I bought ones of these dimmer relay off ebay

Now I had a few problems when wiring up the white wire that is designed to dim the DRL was connected to parker it caused the DRL's to flicker so I had to connect up a 4 pin or 5 pin relay what ever you have handy.

The next problem came the next day when I had thought everything was working great I notcied the DRL werent working what I forgot to realise is that the dimmer relay is voltage sensing meaning it will turn on or off when the voltage raised or droped below 13v.
Now coz the VF's alternator switches off when not needed meant it also droped below 13v and the DRL's turned off so to fix that I connected the orignal DRL wiring to the BLUE AND YELLOW wire from the Dimmer Relay designed to be used for indicators to the 12v+ from the factory wire that went into the DRL and that fixed it.

But in doing all this I have now worked it all out and I hope I have made the diagram easy enough that anyone can do it. If I could find the plugs that the DRL's have I could make up a loom for people but for now you will have to follow the diagram

Things you will need is the ebay dimmer relay, a relay and some extra wire for the relay

I got the DRL control module. Could a decent auto electrician do this without too much trouble?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hey guys finaly got around to fitting a dimmer relay, after a few ups and downs she working.
I bought ones of these dimmer relay off ebay

Now I had a few problems when wiring up the white wire that is designed to dim the DRL was connected to parker it caused the DRL's to flicker so I had to connect up a 4 pin or 5 pin relay what ever you have handy.

The next problem came the next day when I had thought everything was working great I notcied the DRL werent working what I forgot to realise is that the dimmer relay is voltage sensing meaning it will turn on or off when the voltage raised or droped below 13v.
Now coz the VF's alternator switches off when not needed meant it also droped below 13v and the DRL's turned off so to fix that I connected the orignal DRL wiring to the BLUE AND YELLOW wire from the Dimmer Relay designed to be used for indicators to the 12v+ from the factory wire that went into the DRL and that fixed it.

But in doing all this I have now worked it all out and I hope I have made the diagram easy enough that anyone can do it. If I could find the plugs that the DRL's have I could make up a loom for people but for now you will have to follow the diagram

Things you will need is the ebay dimmer relay, a relay and some extra wire for the relay

I got the DRL control module. Could a decent auto electrician do this without too much trouble?

Cav

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
cav.bigblog.com.au
Members Ride
VE II Omega Ute; Fairmont Ghia
I find many LED DRLs very bright and distracting, especially those that have a curvy line.

Someone mentioned that they should be white, can they be yellow?

icemark

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais
Did you use the dimming relay harness to put a link to ? Also have you got HID headlights on your VF??

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I find many LED DRLs very bright and distracting, especially those that have a curvy line.

Someone mentioned that they should be white, can they be yellow?

They can be yellowish as in halogen yellow. But not so yellow that they can be mistaken for indicators or fog lights. I'm sure there will be an ADR regarding the light spectrum

Obx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
VEESSV,

What headlights you have? Is it the globes you have changed or you did the whole kit? Been looking around for new lights...Thanks