Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
vn v6: cant you just bridge 2 wires plug into a normal powerpoint and it turns on, thats what I did a while back haha.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
do you still have all of your limbs in top condition lmao?

lol, yep. all present and accounted for :D i dunno if i am clumsy, lazy or just ill suited for my job. but i have been playing with cars since 96, so i guess its ok to stuff up once every few weeks ;)

oh yeah, p.s. its the green and black wires in the 24 pin plug on your PSU that get it going. just bridge em'. i used to do it to run a bunch of extra case fans for cooling. no need to mess with 240V cos' that sh1t hurts man.

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
this is kinda off topic, but i was working on my old computer, and i wanted to test if the poerbox was geting voltage, to i stripped 2 wires( that had 240 in them lmao) and went to put the multimeter on it, but the wires kept moving, so i grabbed one with my hand, and with the multimeter touched the other (my hand was touching the metal multimeter stem) and it shot me across the room, all the lights in my house turned off, and i sat there for a little while wondering wtf happened.....

and AIR666 you have quite a few haha, do you still have all of your limbs in top condition lmao?

Yeh, off topic as well, but I was in my Electrotech class last year and the teacher asked me to hook up a set of the power points on one of the tables (they then get hooked up to the main power through an extension cord and another powerpoint). When another kid came up, saw the extension cord lying on the ground and plugged it in. Still holding the wires I learnt pretty quickly what the circuit breakers did... The other kids were playing halo (like we usually did, bludge class!) and weren't too happy about me turning the power off...

IDO-360

3800cc
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp spak
ouch.. i think that tops it evil monkey.
dumbest thing i done is jackd my car up on grass and it gave way. toolk me a good hour to get her bak up lol

dvlgrl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1
Whilst working on my ute, still a nice old 308 red engine, but not a commodre, I decided to drop fluids, do plugs and leads etc etc. When taking the plugs out, which I don't think had been touched since Noah built the ark, pushed it too hard and ended up punching the master cylinder. I now have a floating bit or knuckle in my right hand. Funniest bit of the whole thing was whilst still pissing himself at me jumping around swearing, my friend that was helping me ended up doing the same on the other side but hit the firewall and various bits of stabby stuff with his left hand. We made a funny pair at emergency, me broken and him bleeding all over the place. Finished the job first of course!!! LOL!!!

And the moral of the story... Laugh when the jobs done andf there's only one injury!!!

combatantsomeone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim v6..?
Got a couple here XD
Dropped a coilpack bolt into the cylinder of my skyline and started it, luckily only bent the spark plug as the bolt stayed on its side (luckily)
Thought id screwed the oil filter on on the farm ute (triton) but turns out it was cross threaded XD one of our employees went to drive off to pick my dad up and we saw a trail of oil, thought ill call dad n ask him to check it when he gets there. He never made it.... totally siezed, new engine XD
A week after the new engine was in bloody cheap thermostat failed and it blew the headgasket and cracked the head XD

bottleinspector

power starved westy
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs bt1
was with a friend when we took his dads chev powered FJ40 fanging through the bush, pulling back into the street he lived on cracked a big power slide and crunch, no drive...rolled down the road pulled up out the front of the house, i get out and tell him to put it in gear, sure enough the tailshaft was doing its thing, (blown diff), i tell him to lock the front hubs and drive it in the shed so we can tear it out, i walk to the shed for a beverage, i hear a a big scream and come running out to see him hopping / running after the thing down the street.......moral of the story, DONT LEAVE A 4X4 WITH A BLOWN REAR DIFF RUNNING AND IN GEAR WHEN YOU LOCK THE FRONT HUBS...!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL GTS
No injury to me, but one of my earliest memory's of working on cars was jacking up the front of my folks old white mk 2 cortina, with my dad lying underneath just managing to hold the car up a few inches from his face after the dog knocked it off the axel stands.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
No injury to me, but one of my earliest memory's of working on cars was jacking up the front of my folks old white mk 2 cortina, with my dad lying underneath just managing to hold the car up a few inches from his face after the dog knocked it off the axel stands.

This, kids, is why you SHAKE THE **** OUT OF THE CAR when you put it on stands, before you get under it.

Sam

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
this happened on tuesday :(

Image357.jpg

it turns out that sump plugs that are on sideways on diesel engines actually SHOOT oil out, not drain like normal. the line of thick black oil went totally over the oil can and onto the floor and my shoulder...

god i hate diesel cars.

edit* need to explain... where the oil catcher is atm is directly under the sump plug hole, where the puddle of oil on the floor is, is the trajectory of the oil when you take the plug out.