Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E1 Suspension issues - MRC Removal Dilemma

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have had my 07 E1 Senator for a few months & have some concerning suspension issues. The car has done 85k & has 20" mags. It is my 3rd Holden & 2nd VE. The others were VT2 Calais & VE Calais V.

With MRC in the off or standard mode, it handles like a big fat elephant on jelly. Suspension is way soft. It wallows around, bottoms out front & rear over most medium sized judder bars or speed humps. It feels like their is no "shock" effect from the front at all. In this setting I get clunks & knocks from the front when driving along going over small to medium bumps. Hitting any decent sized bump produces what I would describe as a juddery reaction that feels like only the springs are working but nothing is happening from the shocks front or rear. A totally horrible ride.

When the MRC button is pressed & light on, it is to the other extreme. Suspension is as hard as. The knocks & clunks disappear. There is very little suspension travel & it handles like it's on railway tracks. Going over the speed humps it just feels hard with no travel. Hitting any decent bumps though produces a huge rebound effect which completely unsettles the car.

At highway speeds the two settings produce the same issues but worse.

On standard, the car under steers, is soft & wallows. Any bumps make the car react with a judder from the springs front & rear. The car will skitter left or right, across the road surface until it settles back down. Feels like all spring & no shock action.

With the MRC button on again it steers really well. Ride is hard but any bumps encountered produce a violent & frightening rebound reaction which wants to spear the car either left or right off the road. It feels like the shock is now so limited & locked down that there is no suspension in it at all.

A 2 hour rural drive I made recently is the scariest trip I have made in a car for a long long time. The suspension condition forced me to drive at 75kms per hour on roads that should have been taken easily at 100kms. I was truly frightened on several occasions during this trip.

The rear shocks are new & the rear springs were re-set to original height when I got the car. This did produce a plush feeling in the back for a while, but they have since sagged back down to where they were. The front springs were replaced with a standard height spring because the ones in there were very low, causing the front to scrape a lot over driveways etc. The front strut bearings & mounts were replaced also. It was wheel aligned by a good & trusted firm afterwards. The wheels & tyres are new. The Nanking tyre is not a hard compound & feels really nice all round. I run about 36psi in the tyres. Any more is impossible to live with at the moment.

My dilemma is that there are so many conflicting opinions as to what to do with it.

The local HSV technician says keep it as it is & replace the mounts & bearings again. What that will achieve in my mind is nothing. I feel the front struts are totally knackered & in need of replacement.

The second option is to remove MRC all together. Install Nolathane rear subframe bushes & reproduce a Munro GT Gas based replica of a standard FE2 type setup. This setup worked well in my previous VE Calais, which was also on 20" mags.

The other option is to install the Nolathane bushes & a full coilover setup. This is more expensive but that's not a limiting factor. I have looked at a few different ones. For example Tein QSF34 5ZSS2 set or the BC - BR GOLD's - Sports Adjustable Coilovers. They are both height & damper adjustable.

My questions are will they be too hard for a road car on the soft setting & too low at their highest adjustment.

I am a 50 year old guy. I like a car to handle & have a sporty ride but I don't like too hard a ride. I am not doing track days & I don't like lowered cars as a rule. I like a sporty damper but want all the suspension travel available. In short a plush but sporty ride & handling. I live in Christchurch which after all the earthquakes has more bumps than you can imagine.

Are coilovers the answer ? Will they be able to be adjusted to somewhere near to what I'm trying to achieve ?

I am aware that I may need have the 130km MRC check removed from the computer & fitting coilovers will require a low volume certificate to achieve compliance.

I am quite prepared to spend the money to fix this but do want to go the wrong way.

Any help or opinions are welcome.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Does your local have a demo car or employee car with similar setup that they can take you out in to show you? Car comfort, ride and handling is fairly subjective.
I am used to rock like sports car setups that I 'feel' are fine but my missus wouldn't travel 100 meters in because of her back.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
sounds to me like the standard setting isn't sending the correct voltage to the shocks thus they are not functioning. My E3 with MRC was relatively stiff on the standard setting and rock solid when I selected track. Both settings were stiffer than FE2 and it never wallowed.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Sounds like you need either new MRC shocks or the electrical side has failed.

Either way price replacement MRC parts and way up the cost vs a typical style spring/shock or a fully adjustable coilover and personally I'd go Tein, as that's what's in my car. The dampener range is huge and I like the 12th setting of 16 clicks

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
1. I would have to agree with others here. What you are describing appears to be a Magnetic Ride Control System that is not working, on both the front or rear, as it is supposed to. Also seems the car was messed with before you bought it.

2. You mentioned that the rear shocks are new but the rear springs were not replaced when the lowered front springs were replaced with higher units. So you presumably have lowered rear springs with rear stock height HSV MRC shocks.

3. If it is possible to de-activate the MRC system without upsetting any other program in the car like the stability control program I would select that option rather than fiddle trying to fix the total disaster you seem to have now with the MRC suspension system. I would have thought the local HSV guy in CHC could have sorted this for you but apparently not.

4. If it were my car and wanted stock ride height, and provided this was feasible on the HSV, I would replace all 4 springs with a new suitable stock height item (if stock height is what you want) and match these with new bilstein front strut inserts in a stock VE strut and new Bilstein rear shocks.

For what you want, which is a very comfortable ride with decent handling, I would definitely not move to a coil over system.

5. Before doing anything I would talk to Matt at GSL RallySport in Queensland - Ph: 1300 884 836. (also a forum sponsor). They are enthusiastic advocates of fitting bilsteins on VEs (for both performance and ride quality) and the boys there will definitely give you a steer in the right direction to resolve your problem if you give them all the details you have spelled out here on the HSV.
GSL RallySport

Good luck with it. Sounds like you could do with some.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I didn't read the part about "resetting" the rear spring heights and fitting new fronts to raise the car.

If they were not factory HSV MRC springs fitted, then by going higher (then HSV spec) they may stretch and damage the front shocks. As for the rear, I'd never try "resetted" springs. Throw them away IMO and get something to match the front which to me is either one of two options (if you keep the MRC); factory HSV MRC springs or those walkinshaw/ebachi MRC items. Anything else wouldn't be suited to MRC and probably are rubbish.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Only thought id comment because I have bilstein b8 in my car, that I got from gsl rallysport/brakes direct, and think they are great so far worth every cent. Always interested in the MRC though and if I had your car my first priority would be to keep it just coz, but if its a comfortable sporty ride you are after for the price check out the aforementioned.

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Wow I have read all this BS and while your car may be a Luxobarge I reckon dump it (get rid of it) Sound like its been played with too much by some young hoon. And electronics-dont get me started. reliability, cost, easiness/difficulty of repair...go out and buy something with FE2 standard height and standard 18 or 19 inch rims, put 38 or 40 in almost any cheap imported tyre on it and drive it the way you want to. I guarantee you will get the ride you want and have been used to.....:driving:
Hey , its a forum and thats my opinion......:shooting: me if you dont like it . LoL

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for all the responses, they are really helpful. I was told the front springs fitted were a genuine MRC standard height spring. The resetting of the rear springs was definitely a mistake I won't repeat. It seems the suspension has definitely been mucked around with, unlike the rest of the car which is in great condition. The local HSV tech didn't seem to appreciate the poor handling this car has. He did drive it, but it was a round the block trip. I truly love this car, hence my drive to sort this issue out.