Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

eBay Performance Chip Q & A

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
a well tuned memcal can give impressive gains in just about any car.
while maximum power may not improve by much in some cases the increases in power & torque through the rev range will make a very noticeable difference.

Rob

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
ahh just learnt my first valuable lesson in buying "performance" chips off ebay.........it was an SV3800 chip i just chucked my factory chip back in the ECU..........my car runs a hell of a lot smoother now.........i never realised how rough it was idling until about 10 minutes ago when i spun it around the block...........

can u recommend a place to get a decent memcal doctor bob?

Mooxie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive II
G'day guys,

I'm after a lil help with a chip for my VR.

I'm in the middle of fitting all the basic mods... exhaust, extractors CAI etc and thought I'd get a modified memcal too... I ordered this one from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=140084899368&rd=1&rd=1

Sounded okay, however the last person to leave feedback said that it was a dodgy reprogram. I contacted them and they said that they had a problem with the chip and sent it to someone else for it to be checked out... apparently it was a poorly modified HSV copy and had some engine diagnostics deleted.

I decided to try and track down some more info and found this forum... shame I didn't find it earlier. People like Doctor Bob seem to know what's going on with chips etc... any suggestions guys?

Cheers!

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
yeah mate just took one of them out of my car about 40 minutes ago........all it did was make my car idle like ****, use up a rediculous amount of fuel and make the attention light show up all the time...........just chucked the stocky factory chip back in and she runs sweet as pie.........i have pacemaker headers and a 2.5" straight through exhaust and that will do me till i get to bresciani racing and buy an aftermarket computer and a GOOD performance chip tuned nicely........save up extra cash and buy fi flow injectors

Mooxie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive II
Damn... you gonna try and get a refund for the chip?
I live in a small town, so there isn't anywhere here that does any performance gear other than the basics like exhausts.
Been considering trying to reprogram it myself.. plenty of info and all the programs etc available on these forums, however I can't find a programmer...
Dunno what to do... just bloody annoyed I've orded a crap memcal!

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
nah man i got the chip ages ago.........doesnt bother me i not gonna sell it to someone else.........why stooge someone else? i gonna go to bresciani brothers racing in cambellfield (vic) and get an aftermarket computer and tuned chip fitted..........you get what u pay for really........i was amazed at the idle difference when i put my factory chip back in..........soooo smooth compared to the "memcal".............when you slow down slowly with the "memcal" and when you have almost come to a complete stop your car will jump forward in really small jumps until you have completely stopped.........and your car has small shakes and ****.......rough idle in other words..........plus your attention light will always come on and your fuel consumption will go through the roof...........its rediculous............im going for hi flow injectors / cam / port and polished heads / ditch the bellmouth / bigger throttle body..........with the new comp and tuned chip

Last edited:

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
why do you want to change to an aftermarket computer, the current delco in the car is far more tuneable than anything else you would replace it with?

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
really? well where would u recommend getting a decent chip for my car?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
so basiclly this 16c chip from dick smiths is she-ite and is gonna ruin sum ur engine in the long run?

its a resistor, not a chip. just tricks your engine into running richer, so its not good