Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

economy figures in vs 8's

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
^^^Agreed, theres nothing like the torque and sound of an 8.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
i don't think he believes that a V8 can achieve better fuel economy than a 6, maybe he owns a 6????

here we go again.

Check out the australian fuel consumption standard results since they have been published! no normally aspirated larger engine fitted to the same chassis layout from the same manufacturer in the one model range has every achieved better consumption than the smaller normally aspirated engine....period.

Yeh, the results were rigged by white coated 6cyl drivers......in your v8 dreams!

In my v6, the aus test figures for hwy of 6.6L/100km petrol. v8s of the same model are rated at 7.4 man and 8.5 auto for petrol. So yes consumption less than 10L/100km should also be achievable on a v8, but achieving it and then quoting some v6 with a fuel guzzling problem is evidence that v8s are more economical is not really not enough to refute all those stringent government tests.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I get under 10L/100 with my VP, doubt VS would be much different.

Both my V8s have better economy than my V6 and Straight 6. Rest easy if you make the switch, you wont regret it.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I had a VS V6 auto, bought it with 87,000km on it.

The best figure I could get out of it when I used to take leave from the mines and drive the 800km to Sydney was 8.4 L/100km.

I now have a VP V8 auto. I bought it with 103,000km on it. On the same trip the best figure I got was 10.9 L/100km.

The trip used to be done with the cruise control set on where I could.

It stands to reason, the V8 has a greater swept volume per cylinder and will use more fuel. Any arguments about the V6 working harder is not really valid as they do not rev that much harder than the 5 litre. It might sit a couple hundred rpm higher than the V8 at 100km/hr but thats about it.

Even in strictly stop start city driving, the V6 used to average 16 L/100km, and the V8 21 L/100km.

The 5 litre will never get better economy than the 3.8.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Would be good if you had manual comparisons aswell.

My comparisons are Manual V8/Auto V6/Manual straight 6

Either way, i'm getting better K's out of the V8 to the V6, both VP Wagons (meaning both the same tank size)

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
here we go again.

Check out the australian fuel consumption standard results since they have been published! no normally aspirated larger engine fitted to the same chassis layout from the same manufacturer in the one model range has every achieved better consumption than the smaller normally aspirated engine....period.

Yeh, the results were rigged by white coated 6cyl drivers......in your v8 dreams!

QUOTE]

Have you EVER owned a V8?Try listening to those who have owned both 6 & 8's.We know all know what the figures are like from EXPERIENCE,not reading what lab rats have come up with.
Perfect example,my former best mate and i used to live together only 9 months ago and he had a VS berlina V6 and me a VS berlina V8,with no engine mods and what was done,it was done to both cars,both serviced together.Now,we also shared similar driving styles yet I'd get more milage in my V8 by 2-300k's each tank,go figure that one

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Perfect example,my former best mate and i used to live together only 9 months ago and he had a VS berlina V6 and me a VS berlina V8,with no engine mods and what was done,it was done to both cars,both serviced together.Now,we also shared similar driving styles yet I'd get more milage in my V8 by 2-300k's each tank,go figure that one

The V6 was shagged, had a smaller tank or the combination of the two.

I have difficulty believing that the V8 got 200-300km extra per tank Thats like (rough estimate) 30-40% better economy assuming they had the same size tank!

redvs2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor charged Vs, VY ss ute, rodeo daily
i think i'll just have to see what i can find when ive paid off my car. she'll be paid off in a few months then i'll have a look around. half of me is thinking sh!t yeh i should get a v8 but then the other half is thinking i shouldn't as next year i'll be starting an apprenticeship and as everyone knows they get **** all money... but basically if i can find an 8 with cai, extractors, a highflow exhaust, manual and if i dont be to harsh on it i can expect about 13L/100k approx?

thanks for everyones feedback! its helped alot :)

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
His 6 was replaced with a full reco early last year and yes my tank was bigger,by only 10L or so.The main difference between the two were:
Mine his
V8 V6
IRS Live axle
15's 17's
stock height lowered

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I had trouble believing my manual VL wasn't a ****load faster than my auto.

A run with one of my mates soon cleared up that they were both identical