Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec auto to manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
"89 HSV Enhanced SV20
I put an Auto VT V6 into my Manual VS S2 and I put the flywheel on with no dowell pins, it was just a pain in the butt to line up the holes because it only goes on one way. Dowell pins arent for strength its just to line it up. I have a Getrag with a heavy ass Dual mass flywheel and all i did was replace the TTY bolts and it runs like a dream. I didnt balance anything and I have no vibrations. Ive 'shock loaded' it pleanty of times and it hasent come into the cabin yet so im convinced that dowell pins and a balance arent needed. Oh and yes, new loom and manual PCM is needed.

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
I put an Auto VT V6 into my Manual VS S2 and I put the flywheel on with no dowell pins, it was just a pain in the butt to line up the holes because it only goes on one way. Dowell pins arent for strength its just to line it up. I have a Getrag with a heavy ass Dual mass flywheel and all i did was replace the TTY bolts and it runs like a dream. I didnt balance anything and I have no vibrations. Ive 'shock loaded' it pleanty of times and it hasent come into the cabin yet so im convinced that dowell pins and a balance arent needed. Oh and yes, new loom and manual PCM is needed.

I disagree with you on the dowel pins purpose. They are there to stop small movements back & fourth of the flywheel on the bolt to bolt hole clearance. The small movement if allowed to start will help work the bolts loose. Some people get away with doing it as you have & others don't. Most times the problems seem to occur when turning a L67 engine from auto to manual, as the L67 is a different balance to the Ecotec engine.

Cheers

Deek

holdonvntt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais
fark it i waited two weeks to long for another manual/engine when having a auto/engine sitting there going to run the flywheel with no dowels see how we go. also i found a site last night might help out

Holden V6 Parts < < < ~~~~~~

automatic transmissions usually come with a flex plate which is fitted with the starter ring gear and engine balance weight. Marks 4WD Adaptors now manufacture a flywheel that bolts up behind the automatic flex plate thereby retaining the ring gear and the original engine balance.

GmComx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX V6
I am currently buying a conversion kit to change the VX commodore to manual Getrag 5speed the part come from a VY and the engine loom is diffrent and would any one know if the VY PCM is diffrent the service number is the same as mine not sure if it will work properly? Also will it be best to use original Dual Mass flywheel or Solid some people say there is more gear noise with solid flywheels?

Dobby0500

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore acclaim
Hi I know that this is an old post but I was just wondering if this guide for drilling the l67 cranks is the same when drilling a ecotec to mount a manual flywheel to an auto motor

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Shouldn't need to redrill an auto Ecotec crank. Might be missing the crank dowels but the flywheel will bolt up.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi I know that this is an old post but I was just wondering if this guide for drilling the l67 cranks is the same when drilling a ecotec to mount a manual flywheel to an auto motor

Yes, ecotec and L67 use the same crank, it's the balance that is different due to the heavier rod/piston combo used in the L67.

TBH, I don't know if I would bother with the dowel pins, they don't add any strength to the joint. dowels are used to ensure the alignment is 100% spot on. Just make sure the flywheel been used is mirror balanced to the ring gear that comes off.

gib2424

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 auto
howdy , about 6 yrs ago I purchased a VN series 1 V6 auto sedan , during the years since I have came to the conclusion after repairs and upgrades and comparing the series 1 to the series 2 that the series 1 V6 is far better than the series 2 ecotec , the cylinder heads on series 1 are a much better design and when the compression on series 1 is taken up to a sensible number above the stupid 8.5 there is no comparison , my VN now has an auto trans rebuilt with all corvette bits and a decent converter and the rear has 3.7's and I am so glad it is not the ecotec V6 , I have no trouble accelerating very fast indeed and my fuel economy is much better than it used to be AND the engine doesn't scream itself to death accelerating , there are other mods on my VN that help a lot but in general the series 1 V6 is the better engine than any ecotec with a silly manual trans . gib

Ynotman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx manual spac
Can anyone tell me if there is any differences between the auto & manual V6 Ecotec apart from the obvious like loom,flexplate to flywheel,etc? I can get hold of an auto motor quite easy but will be running a manual car.
thanks
Dude I just put a vt auto ecotec motor in my manual vx and it’s easy as. I do suggest drilling the two dowel pins as they prevent the clutch assembly from sheering the bolts off. The bolts are just there to hold the flywheel to the crank. Just follow the instructions OZ38 in this thread has written. I removed the dowel pins from my old motor, put them in the freezer for about an hour, and they knocked in pretty easy. And I didn’t get anything mirror balanced and it runs great.