Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec MAF sensor limitation

bundysmurf

USEF!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Im running an sc14 intercooled front mount A2A with the MAF after the inter cooler at about 6.5psi with the throtle body in front of the charger. I had never really looked at some of the problems experienced by L67 running A2A coolers but it seems I am having the same sort of issues.

What sort of cost would one anticipate being involved in a MAF to MAP conversion?

Is there any way I can transfer parts/all of the tune I already have or would it be a matter of starting again from scratch?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Would have to start from scratch!

Might pay to give some tuners a call and have a chat to them. Where abouts are you located??

The problem i believe, would be because the MAF is after the throttle body. When the throttle closes the MAF would be getting some pretty wierd & wonderful signals i would imagine.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Dick from Dicks electronics (tuned Danes record breaking VT L67) charges $1500 for the MAP change over and tune if you supply the VR computer.
Thanks BlownV6hatch for explaining why the L67 isn't easy to MAP tune.
Just to clarify so we don't start any fights here not all A2A cars are a nightmare to tune.
With the right tuner some guys have these cars running perfectly but on the whole most tuners just can't get them running right hence why some change to MAP tuning.
The is a thread on street commodores which is coming together with the names of these good tuners.

Commotion

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WRX
i got maffless conversion done on mine at chiptorque. $1500 including the tune, then no worries about the air flow meter maxing out. they actually used the input from the EGR (being a VT) cause it did a 0-5v input to the computer.

john221

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs Executive s1
my vs maf was playing up so i unplugged it and it runs better than ever

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Thread mine for the win. Might want to replace your MAF and plug it in. When the ECU goes to default settings (closed loop) it will run purely off the O2 sensors and will err on the rich side if things. Your economy will suck

VS_WPN

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
A bored out MAF will actually flow better then a LS1 MAF. However a tune will be required. A MAFless setup will always make more power then MAF setup. The MAF in itself is a restrictions in the air induction.

DJR89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S-pack S2
And for the record, if the MAF fails or is disconneted on an ECOTEC/L67 it will not run at all!!! LS1's on the other hand will run fine with the MAF sensor disconnected as they have a MAP sensor aswell!

Sorry mate but i have an ecotec nd the maf sensor failed yesterday on the way to narre warren for the cruise nd i disconnected the sensor nd was able to drive on the cruise from narre warren to lilydale to marysville nd then to eltham... it hasnt played up since... i have no idea how nd everyone at work doesnt no either...

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
it has backup fuel tables for when the maf dies will be running purely TPS fueling

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
I chucked my maf sensor in the back seat last weekend, theres no need for it on as it is mafless