Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Problem Has Me Stumped

D

devilly

to me it kind of sounds like a spark plug has cracked itself inside,or the egr gasket needs replacing $3 brand new from holden's :)

just make sure if you replace the gasket you put on wd40 the day before the job makes it easy to undo.

and you use no gasket goo at all with it.

also could try holding mode and up start the car release buttons,then click mode until you get to fuel ratio setting.

check what that's doing mine starts at 2. something and as it warms up can drop to 1.5 and then click mode back to volts and when driving see what is the highest volts going through car.

if you don't like this display just turn car off hold nothing and restart it then the display is gone.

on my pc i have the subwoofer box hooked up,i turned it up loud :) i could feel a miss going on for sure.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
I'll give it a look, I replaced the DFI when i did the coils and everything looked fine those aren't cheap hopefully its okay :/
how did you identify the problem with it? was it pretty obvious one of the joints were buggered when you looked?

One of my joints was cooked so it was a pretty obvious fault. If it looks fine, smell it too. It may smell burnt if it has a crappy connection.

Also, change your fuel filter too man!

Finally, when I did my conversion, mine was overfuelling to the max and carrying on like a steam train, there was literally that much black smoke coming out the zorst from over fuelling.

Anyway, that problem turned out to be, after much fault finding, the O2 sensor circuit was stuffed and I had to completely re-wire the circuit. This is a VS mind.

Best bet, do some data logging and liaise with Nigel (the1). He's more than helpful and brilliant at what he does. He'll point you in the right direction quick smart!

VXPL

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S Pac Manual
to me it kind of sounds like a spark plug has cracked itself inside,or the egr gasket needs replacing $3 brand new from holden's :)

just make sure if you replace the gasket you put on wd40 the day before the job makes it easy to undo.

and you use no gasket goo at all with it.

also could try holding mode and up start the car release buttons,then click mode until you get to fuel ratio setting.

check what that's doing mine starts at 2. something and as it warms up can drop to 1.5 and then click mode back to volts and when driving see what is the highest volts going through car.

if you don't like this display just turn car off hold nothing and restart it then the display is gone.

on my pc i have the subwoofer box hooked up,i turned it up loud :) i could feel a miss going on for sure.

i would never have even thought of the EGR, the car starts around 2.4 - 2.5 and goes to about 1.7 - 1.9 once warm it used to be dead on 1.4 warm before all this crap, hugest volts i got this morning was 13.9,
yeah I get a weak spark if I crank my stereo too but I tend not to do that while driving, only occasionally to drown out my singing when some of my favorite songs come on :)

VXPL

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S Pac Manual
One of my joints was cooked so it was a pretty obvious fault. If it looks fine, smell it too. It may smell burnt if it has a crappy connection.

Also, change your fuel filter too man!

Finally, when I did my conversion, mine was overfuelling to the max and carrying on like a steam train, there was literally that much black smoke coming out the zorst from over fuelling.

Anyway, that problem turned out to be, after much fault finding, the O2 sensor circuit was stuffed and I had to completely re-wire the circuit. This is a VS mind.

Best bet, do some data logging and liaise with Nigel (the1). He's more than helpful and brilliant at what he does. He'll point you in the right direction quick smart!
Yeah i cant for the life of me get the bloody ECU to communicate properly with my PC i originally put it all together after i did the VY dash conversion because i planned on putting a wide band O2 sensor in to get a better tune made up but life happens and stuff gets in the way, Ill definitely be doing that fuel filter very soon then, i just want it to stop using so much damn fuel I'm getting about 400 - 450 kms out of a tank at the moment :doh:
my O2 sensors probably aren't the healthiest either but they haven't thrown a code yet so hopefully their okay.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Yeah i cant for the life of me get the bloody ECU to communicate properly with my PC i originally put it all together after i did the VY dash conversion because i planned on putting a wide band O2 sensor in to get a better tune made up but life happens and stuff gets in the way, Ill definitely be doing that fuel filter very soon then, i just want it to stop using so much damn fuel I'm getting about 400 - 450 kms out of a tank at the moment :doh:
my O2 sensors probably aren't the healthiest either but they haven't thrown a code yet so hopefully their okay.

Mine was getting about 300ks to a tank. :bomb:

Just remember your O2 sensors might not throw codes if they're not working properly.
Pull them out and have a look at them. If they pitch black, they're not working (too much fuel).

How old are they? Might be worth changing them, I get mine from Holden for about 42ea. for 90 bucks you might find your problem solved too.

D

devilly

fuel filter asap if it's slightly blocked now and get worse you may have it not starting properly.

a bit high on readings,i would be putting in fuel injector cleaner and see if the readings change at all.

and disconnect battery terminals and then tighten up back of alternator and then tighten the terminals up.see if that changes anything.

VXPL

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S Pac Manual
fuel filter asap if it's slightly blocked now and get worse you may have it not starting properly.

a bit high on readings,i would be putting in fuel injector cleaner and see if the readings change at all.

and disconnect battery terminals and then tighten up back of alternator and then tighten the terminals up.see if that changes anything.
yeah ill do the filter over the weekend if I can, its got injector cleaner in there at the moment I put it in last time I filled up :)
I'll give the terminals a look but they should still be okay it was only a few months ago that I changed the alternator

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
definitely worth using a tech 2
as you can run a balance test and check fuel trims
the fact turning off will reset the fault makes me think electronics
i would be swapping a known good dfi module in

VXPL

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S Pac Manual
Just thought I'd give you guys an update. I have changed all the usual culprit stuff and still no change unfortunately, however this problem arose litterally about 2 days after changing my alternator over from memory, is there anyway that could cause something like this?

D

devilly

mine the highest it sits is 14.3.i would suggest to disconnect the battery and check the nut at the back of alternator,they can come loose and then you don't have a good connection.

also check the wirer's to alternator as when yours stopped working it might have damaged them.also check all the wires going to the battery terminals via wiggling them make sure they not loose.

sometimes it can be as simple as when putting the terminals back on battery they are loose your only loosing a few millamps <--whateva it's called.

drive with it on volts :) then you can see if your going around a corner and theres a difference in volts thats something may be slightly arching out.

if all that checks okay,i would be looking into iac or accelerator cable may need moving outward about a tooth :)