Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] Ecotec V6 gilmer belt?

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
I'm trying to help you understand the practicality of your question.

I gave you advice, but not what you wanted to hear. It's like putting an electronic blow off valve on your exhaust.

Other than the fact that you want your car to sound good (I admit Gilmer drive's sound good, on V8's - on an applicable setup) - the question is, why would you bother runnning a Gilmer kit when the Ecotec has a fairly advanced and suitable belt system as it is. A Gilmer will do nothing but limit the practicality and options of your drive belt.

If you want a question, it CAN be done, whilst getting rid of possibly your alternator, A/C etc etc etc. Probably cost at least $1,500 or north of it.

Mate I'm not asking you to read into it all. All I was asking was, is it possible? Have they made a proper kit for it that isn't custom? Price?

Thanks for your 2nd response Hamatime. As i said, im just looking for that nicer sound, and price, thats it (y) not complex lol

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Why the hell dont you go to the Gilmer website and look??

I think you'll find they don't, because the emotec ALREADY has a serpintine belt.

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
What you're doing is replacing one $40 belt with another $200 belt FOR NO REASON WHAT SO EVER.

Its clinically retarded.
So of course people are going to tell you you're a twit for doing it.

no reason? The sound is the reason, i want to see what it is like.
Also this is my first car and I'm just looking at toying about and trying things out, can't tell me you never experimented with your early cars soop

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Why the hell dont you go to the Gilmer website and look??

Thanks soop, I'll go and have a look. was that hard for you to give straight advice without your bs cushioning?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Yeah.. At TAFE I was working on an ecotec and the belts are 2m+ so youll have a lot of fun...

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ive linked that thread here before for the s/c guys .cost easy $2000+ to get custom fabbed up theres $150 bucks of billet alloy there at least before machining cost would just be over the top and the fact you loose a lot of HP from parasitic drag of a gilmer belt

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
ive linked that thread here before for the s/c guys .cost easy $2000+ to get custom fabbed up theres $150 bucks of billet alloy there at least before machining cost would just be over the top and the fact you loose a lot of HP from parasitic drag of a gilmer belt

Sweet thanks very much for that delcowizzid (n) defs not worth that kinda money for what i'd be getting lol

Cheers