Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotech starting problems

mitch85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Hi guys, im new here so go easy on me! :kiss:

I've got a '97 VS and she has a few issues starting hot. I've already replaced the alternator and starter motor (brand new from Repco).
When the new starter went in, it worked fine for about a month and now its starting to become hard to start again when hot. Cold starting is fine.
I am wondering if you guys know of, or have had the same problems and if you've been able to fix it. Being a starter is the obvious gremlin, but would there be something else that is causing the starter headaches? Or maybe Repco just sold me a dud. Anyway, if there are any problem solving tips or ways I could check to see if it is the starter or maybe something else, that'd be awesome.
Thanks guys!

PROBLEM SOLVED:

Ok, so I've seemed to have fixed the problem.
I checked everything around the starting system, wires, earths etc etc. mostly what you guys have recommended. I didn't really find any issues. Again, I checked the battery - full charge, amps etc etc. Heres the thing: After buying a battery booster for my work van, I just so happened to have had it in the car when it refused to start whilst I was filling up with juice. :idea3: Thinking what the hell, I tried using the jump starter. Hey presto! It fired into life quite quickly. So, I again checked the battery when I got home, everything was normal. I pulled the battery out (it didn't have a colour indicator) and went down to the battery place who took a look at it. Well, she was a dud. Anyway, $155 lighter and a new battery....good as gold! :rockon:

What seemed a perfectly good, 6 month old battery turned out to be a p.o.s. If anyone has the same problem, try using a different battery. There are always duds out there!

Last edited:

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
The starter motor won't crank properly when motor is hot ?

yoshi87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
does it click wen u go to start?
have u checked the see if the starter is getting enough power to start it wen hot?
have u checked the starter relay/fuse?

mitch85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
The starter motor won't crank properly when motor is hot ?

Yep, when I go to kick it over it makes an attempt...maybe half a crank then there is a pause and it is slow to crank / start

mitch85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
does it click wen u go to start?
have u checked the see if the starter is getting enough power to start it wen hot?
have u checked the starter relay/fuse?

It doesn't click, its just cranks very slow. The old bloke I bought it from gave me a full service history on it and it did seem to eat 2 crank angle sensors within about a year. Would that have anything to do with slow starting when hot? I couldn't imagine it being a relay or fuse if it starts perfectly cold? Or would it?

yoshi87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
if the relay gets hot it could have something to do with it but maybe there is a couple of damaged teeth on ur drive plate which might play anaffect to it as well

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Or could be too small a starter solenoid or power wire. Are the starter motor mounting points clean and free of dirt and rust? Have you checked the condition of the battery? What is the voltage drop at the starter motor at cold and hot temperatures?

Starter motor soleniods don't like heat.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Check the main engine block and body earths. Ive seen similar starting problems on these cars before when these earths have become disconnected or dirty etc.

mitch85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Ill check some of these tips out tomorrow and let you guys know. Thanks

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
as brett said, check your earths. make sure the engine earth is clean and tight. also to rule it out what you could do is get a thick bit of wire and earth the engine to the battery with it. The reason for this is the fact that the engine doesnt earth at any other point (unless mounts or supports are rooted) as everything is mounted on rubber. also make sure your battery terminals are tight as and have no movement what so ever. Had a situation where i had to do a live battery swap for my mums landcruiser when she accidentally left the lights on all day at work. when i put her battery back in i forgot to tighten the clamps and after about 2 months, it started slow cranking.

As for your CAS problem, check to see if the mechanic used genuine CAS or aftermarket. and Check your HB to because if the fins are bent, they can damage the CAS.