Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine build date by number?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I'd say if you update the info on your rego someone will find that this vehicle was originally recorded with this engine number from day one and now it's going back to that again and not stolen as you might be unnecessarily concerned about.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have NFI vs-lover, either way I think I might just have to wash off the chalk fill it with it with grease and just leave it alone. Because even the bloke at Holden gave me a different number, to what is in my engine bay and the rego papers. Apparently the trans is not original, according to my trans bloke, which made me suspicious about the engine.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If you bought it with clear title, and REVS (or equivalent) check, let dead dogs lie and claim ignorance.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My main concern has been extinguished and that was making sure my new rockers will fit. Since they will, i think i just have to let it go, and hope i never need an engine ID check done. It will probably cost me 100 bucks to have it ID at the inspection station so i can go in and update it. Probably easier to just cross the bridge when I come to it.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here in SA you just fill in the "Change of Engine Number" advice slip and hand it in over the counter and there's no cost involved at all.

If I recall correctly it's the only transaction you can make with "Service SA" (Motor Reg) that has no cost attached apart from handing in a set of Number Plates.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I might ring up Service Tas and see if I need to have it inspected and if there is a fee.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Pretty normal. Vicroads here gets stuff like that wrong all the time. One of the old honda dirtbikes we used to have was registered as a 1980's BMW station wagon according to vicroads, even though the engine number and vin were correct.

Only way to find out whether engine is hot or not is to contact the local traffic authority. Vicroads tells us that they can't do it, but the can and will do it if you speak to the right person. They have nothing to gain by with holding that information.

But honestly, who checks their engine number anyway - that's the engine it's supposed to have, and the authorities would never question it. If you were ever pulled over and questioned (doubtful), then they'd just dismiss the different engine number as a mistake on the traffic authorities part.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I will just leave it as i have to have it inspected if i change the engine i have just found out. If and when I need to talk to some authority about my engine i will tackle it then. Like EYY said its a VR engine so not doing anything wrong there. If it is a stolen engine i will talk to to who ever i have to, to sort it out, if i ever even need too. Chances are if it was insured i suspect the ins Co surely wouldn't make me pull it out to give back to them, since no wrecker is going to buy a VR engine off an ins Co anyway. I believe the vehicle was originally bought new from Victoria. So surely no bastard is going to make the effort to hoick out my engine when it costs 200 bucks each way on the ferry. I suspect id have a pretty good case for keeping the engine. I mean heck i have owned it for three years. I know when my VL was stolen and never recovered i aint going to be telling some poor bastard that i want it back now 15 -16 years on, if it ever did turn up.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pretty much what EYY has suggested is my opinion as well.

The only way they would ever check your EN is if you are a suspect of running stolen goods etc. and had a warrant. Apart from that these clowns wouldn't even know where to look for the number and don't want to get their fingers dirty around that area that's normally full of crud.

I recall many years ago when I received a call at 2.00am on a Tuesday from a friend of mine who was then in the job and on Night Shift and he wanted to know where the EN was on a Ecotec. as they'd pulled over a known runner that was on the wanted list. You reckon he got a good response from me at that hour ???

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I suspect id have a pretty good case for keeping the engine.

Ignorance is no excuse for the law.

I know when my VL was stolen and never recovered i aint going to be telling some poor bastard that i want it back now 15 -16 years on, if it ever did turn up.

I certainly would !! ................have you checked the prices of VL's lately ???