Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine rattle on down rev

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah that's the first thing the mech is doing on Tuesday when he has a look at it. He had to buy a fitting as the Buick Commodore thread is not a common size.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
1/8" or 1/4" NPT from memory. Should be common enough.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I would have thought so too but he didn't have a fitting as he lent it out a long while back and never gets any call for that size one.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had another listen this arvo after the rain stopped, this time using a screwdriver. I went to buy a stethoscope but I had to have it mailed out as SCA were out of stock. I am pretty certain it's the chain. The noise seems to be in a little further in than where I originally thought the chain sits but having seen some pics it actually does sit back close to where the noise is loudest.
The noise is definitely slightly louder on the front of the engine, when you put your ear to a screw driver. You need to have it right on the front of the block or it sounds like it could be further back.
I didn't have time to swap out the new rockers due to poor weather all weekend and no under cover area to work in. If the rockers get swapped it will have to be the mech workshop doing it, as I need the ute on the road ASAP, as I have customer jobs that need doing and I can't get there. And because I am bussing to my regular work and back it's pretty much dark when I get home.

I dare say it's not a cam bearing the engine has been running off and on for more than an hour over the last week, including a 15min drive. I'd say it should be knocking pretty well by now if it was the former.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have an engine in the donor but condition is unknown and it won't crank nor will it fuel up the rail. NFI where to start with it to get it running. I would need it in the shed to hoick the engine and to get it home will cost $480. Then i need to buy a fuel pump and starter motor before i even look like it going. All i know is it's not seized.

Why would you have to buy this stuff for your donor engine? You have known working parts and with the issue you have with your current engine, removing those from your current engine, and trying with the donor might just save you a crud load of money....Not to mention, you seem to have the time up your sleeve anyways, so it might just work out beneficial

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pulling a fuel pump is not fun even on the ute. Pulling a pump and fitting it to a wagon tank with the hope it will prime is less fun. Having to put all that back again and doing most of this on my back, nup, NFW. I don't have the time or patience to crawl around in the dirt on a whim with no guarantee it will go.

I also have no interest in unbolting two racks, 2 starters and again laying on my back getting muddy and dirt falling in my eyes and then having to repeat the process without actually knowing the issue is the starter motor.
I built a pit to make life easier and so I don't have to lie in the dirt to do repairs. I have a few very basic tools here. I would have to find bricks and use a scissor jack to raise one side at a time, bit by bit.

Nope I CBF and like I said don't have the time. If I was to get the wagon engine running I would need the help from the father in law along with his equipment. That could take 3 -4 weeks before he has a spare weekend to mess around with an old car. Every bastard pulls him this way and that. Because he is fairly handy everyone asks him for favours.

If I can get the wagon home, I can pull it myself with no help or maybe the neighbour who doesn't have a job. Then I can rig up a fuel pump and run a set of jumper leads to the starter and get it running on a stand or even get it running in the car if I want too. Having it in the shed makes a potential nightmare a walk in the park, if I run into problems and it's not a basic fix, just saying.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So dropped ute off Mon late arvo. Late this afternoon he had done a compression test. Lowest was 140, most were 150 one or two were 145. He said that is pretty ok. Oil pressure was good hot and cold but i can no remember the figure.
Chances are he may not look at it again this week. He said he wants to think about it overnight and will tell me what next hopefully tomorrow. I was hoping to order parts tomorrow but that is not going to happen until next week. Therefore at this stage i am without the ute for at least another week maybe two.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hey @Dylan kingswood would you have a timing cover in good cond that you would be willing to sell? I have found one at the self serve wrecker but not sure how I will go getting it off, if the sump has not been dropped already?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I had a vr v6 timing cover, inlet manifold, throttle, oil filter plate, tension pulley bracket, thermostat housings and some other V6 alloy bits in my last trip to the scrap dealer.
Had them advertised on Gumtree for over 6 months with no bites.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Would have been good Woteva.