Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine rattle on down rev

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The crank looks good apparently. So I'm guessing that new bearings are not a bad idea. Only thing is the extra 2hrs labour to replace them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
For me the case of replacing the crank bearings was simply because I need to trust the mechs judgment. He is a pretty decent mech with a good rep. Since he is doing the repairs i have to do what he says and trust he knows enough. I am in big money regardless so an extra 250 to replace bearings is not massive in the overall cost now anyway. I'd rather be safe than try to be a tightarse about it and it come back to bite me.
I will be bending over to take it, next week when I hope its up and running once he tells me the damage. I already spent close to $500 on a stall convertor, trans tech will be a bit, so a bit more shafting is to be expected i think.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I got the bearings today, $110 for both sets so that's not bad. I also bought a new GMB water pump as I didn't feel like another 50min walk to pick up parts. I tried to identify where the pump was made but the box doesn't say. Now the mech has a choice of three pumps, a new gates, new GMB and a SH GMB (Japan). He can decide on the best one to fit. I'd probably like him to fit the new GMB as it will be an easy return if it does fail.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have already mentioned this in my build thread but just to round this thread off, i will say the rattle is now fixed. In the end the chain, gears and tensioner were fucked. This was what was causing the rattle. Wrapped that the rattle is fixed. So big money fixing the issue because I ended up fixing a few other problems while he was there. But i am glad i went all out and fixed the other issues now because it was cheaper to do it all at once than having to sort the other problems down the track.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Should outlast the body now

Fisho72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S 3.8 5-Spd
Hi Losh,
My L27 has just had a cam upgrade and has exactly the same problem and noise on decal did you end up getting a resolution to the noise ?
I have rebuilt the motor so its not the internals, it has a custom grind cam to suit the Raptor SC, HD valve springs, and standard rockers, gee I hope you have the answer as its driving me crazy.
Fisho72

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hi Losh,
My L27 has just had a cam upgrade and has exactly the same problem and noise on decal did you end up getting a resolution to the noise ?
I have rebuilt the motor so its not the internals, it has a custom grind cam to suit the Raptor SC, HD valve springs, and standard rockers, gee I hope you have the answer as its driving me crazy.
Fisho72
Mine was a worn timing chain and tensioner.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Balance shaft makes a tap not a rattle.