Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine rattle on down rev

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A V8 would be nice but I have no intention dropping a V8 into what was previously a V6. Having said that i wouldn't be apposed to finding a factory V8 ute with good running gear that maybe needs some panel work. I would like to have a go at doing a full respray one day and not just a panel or two. If I get something with a basic colour it should be something i can tackle over a few months. I'd possibly need to look interstate though as people in Tas think V8s are worth a mint.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Cam bearings where most of your oil pressure haemorages out when they get worn as they get fed 1st then oil goes to the mains then bigends .this was a customer's rebuilt engine with mace cam I don't know who fitted the cam bearings but the front one didn't last long
received_2174611112656728.jpeg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Ohh geez, that ****** is bad, the sucker who fitted it must have been cock-eyed cause that bearing sure is.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I dare say mine are still ok then, given i had plenty of hot engine oil pressure. Mech said yes they can be a bastard to get right unless it goes to an engine builder. I don't want to take the risk trying to have new ones fitted. Mech said best to leave them alone at this stage.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Y
Ohh geez, that ****** is bad, the sucker who fitted it must have been cock-eyed cause that bearing sure is.
yep and without the correct press they don't go in right. Not worth the risk.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You can buy the proper tools or as I would do, make em :) the front one is hardest as there is no guide to keep it straight but if I'd put that in it would have come out and been replaced. Taking money for shoddy work like that is criminal.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If i had endless coin i would slip the heads off and have the valves ground. She'd be like a new one then. It would also take care of the last two oil leaks. But not needed, even though it would be nice.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
If it has good hot oil pressure it should of been fine I've pulled 300000km ones down and bearings all looked like new cause they do run high oil pressure compared to a lot of engines like the 304s idling at 8-10psi lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't know the figures as the workshop tested the pressures both hot and cold. I saw some of the bearings and the wear was only slight to me. The wear wasn't all over just slightly worn on the edge of a couple. Mech said they did need replacing. Certainly no copper showing that I could see.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If it has good hot oil pressure it should of been fine I've pulled 300000km ones down and bearings all looked like new cause they do run high oil pressure compared to a lot of engines like the 304s idling at 8-10psi lol
My ute idles at 650rpm with 5psi pressure and has done for years lol. I know cam bearings are to blame cause I never replaced them when I rebuilt it when I was 19 or so haha