Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine rattle on down rev

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just sounds like wear to me. As your timing chain is well worn one would assume that the bearings are too. If your guy reckons all the big end and main shells can be replaced without any crankshaft grinding that is good news and the shells have done their job as sacrificial wear components. May want to get him to check the top end (gudgeon pins and sleeves) while he is at it.

Do you prefer a proper job or a cheap job? While the donk is out and being stripped, I would check everything and replace whats worn so the motor stays back in and performing for two more decades rather than months. New rings? Check the cam bearings for wear? Oil and water pumps?

Look on the bright side - it will cost 25% less than if it was a V8 ;)

Won't go as far a rings, as this is heads and manifold off. Manifold off and cam out to check cam bearings and they are a bastard to get right. Normally replace them on a Buick with full tear down. Mains and big-ends can be done by lifting the crank slightly. I have decent compression and virtually no oil burn. Heads off would be good to freshen up the top end but not needed so won't worry. Mani gaskets I replaced a year or two ago, another reason for leaving the top end alone. Even lifters I think might be ok as they are normally not too much of a prob on Buicks.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Tad concerned with how far I am going on an old engine but then even if I could get a replacement locally there would still be the usual V6 oil leaks, chains that may or may not need replacing and bearings that are no better than what I have now. What is scary is the labor, parts wise I'm under $350. Where as labour I'd say I am looking at 12hrs by the time it goes back in. Now labour charge is not retail, so I will do ok but still the time taken is getting away.

Just to add my chains have probably 10mm of flex and the tensioner has pretty much no tension on it, it's fairly floppy.
It's definitely a gamble but then again even a V8 would be a gamble just a better result if it worked out.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
giphy.gif

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Put an Ecotec in it if they're plentiful...use vr ecu/harness etc.

Or go nuts...go v8

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Acl Mains are 80 bucks same for bigends cam bearings cost us under 100 supply and fit with the engine still assembled .pop the frost plugs out and power wash the water galleries till all the rust and mud is gone fit new plugs and call it a minta .that's all we do to our turbo ones and they live for years at 450-500 rear wheel horsepower even on the stock rings.these engines are bulletproof I've never pulled a stock good running one apart and had bearings at copper yet

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The v8’s are so much better for back yard rebuilds etc. Can do some horrible things to them and they’ll still last forever. Reuse all bolts, buy $60 gasket set and throw a cam in it for street cred lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have ordered new mains and big ends too late to say no now. But for $125 for both they might as well be done. The cam bearings are not something the mech can do so they won't be done. The oil pressure was fine but the mech recommended replacing the crank bearings. I spoke to an engine builder, where i bought my parts and he said the big end caps are normally ok unless you lose pressure and they get slammed. Cam gears were a bit worn. Chain and tensioner were fucked. Got a better quality one, which will be good for another 300k. Yeah mech is banging in new plugs, possibly already done as he mentioned fitting them when i dropped them off late this arvo.