Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine swap issues V6/4S-V6/6S

Glitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Belina S1 sportswagon
ok so my gearbox had lost 3,4 gear and I had a rattle in the front end at start up but would disappear after reaching temp and I wanted to do a engine swap as it was already and thought why not do a motor and gearbox swap
after doing some looking around I managed to find a V6/6S auto motor and gearbox with 146***km on it at a reasonable price after going and inspecting the motor I put down the deposit and was told it was a Series 1 motor and would be a straight swap plug and play part from the gearbox so I got the eco and engine loom with the motor and gearbox
after this weekend and picking it up and looking at the motor and gearbox side by side I come to find its a series 2 motor which means its not a straight swap and with have to get some programming done as it is a SV6 3.6L as mine was a standard V6 3L
the issue I'm having are the fuel lines aren't lining up so will I have to get custom fuel lines made up or is it possible that I could swap out the fuel line from the tank wall the way to the engine bay?
RenderedImage.JPG

I know I have to order new sensors for my exhaust t as it has different ports after the cats back but I also got the cats and tail sharft as my original was 150mm to short due to the 4S gearbox having the convertor in the gearbox
some please help me as this is my first ever engine swap and I'm still learning
(this is a huge learning step for me)

Attachments

• IMG_6550.jpg
    IMG_6550.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 67

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There’s a lot to unpack here.

I’ve skimmed through the post and there’s going to be some hurt.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ didn’t come with 3ltr V6.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It looks like this is on a VE from the photos.

The LLT is direct injection. It has a high pressure pump as well.
This whole thing is not a plug and play situation. It’s as good as a full engine conversion. The work around for the wiring and ECM is hideous.

At this point a 4 or 5 speed auto to a 6 speed gearbox is a highly complex conversion in its own right. There is no easy way.

Reprogramming your existing ECM and BCM to suit the different engine is not straight forward.

I’d be taking it out, on selling it and getting the right engine and gearbox or you’ll be getting some grey hair.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The fuel lines are different because of direct injection. You won’t get them to match.

If you were going to stick to the conversion, I’d be using a VF drive line and getting a good therapist.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VZ didn’t come with 3ltr V6.

I was wondering but wasn't 100% sure where to put this. It would be good if the OP can specify exactly what vehicle this is in.

Bumped it over to the VE section.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
A photo of the body plate under the hood would answer a lot of questions as what you are actually starting with.
LF1 to LFW is easy and I even know now that going to a LFX is not all that hard either although a bit more work with the ECM/ECU
But older models before SIDI and changing to SIDI would be one hell of a challenge.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
programming done as it is a SV6 3.6L as mine was a standard V6 3L
If you have a 3 litre, you either have the LF1 or LFW... That means that your Berlina is a Series 1.5 (Series 2 driveline and Series 1 cosmetics)