Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine swap

Janesey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pac
just need a bit of advice about an engine swap, ive found a motor and box for cheap and is actually cheaper then buying the parts to fix the engine thats currently in, anyway i just wanna know because im just swapping a 6 for another 6 is it all just plug and play? or do i have to swap computer and all that as well? any tips would be awesome too! ive never done a transplant on a vx or anything so dont know how it will all go with the computer etc.. cheers.

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
did this myself just a few weeks ago. ecotec to a ecotec will just drop right in. i put a vx engine into a vt and all still lined up 100%. only time you will run into issues is if you try fit a vs engine into vt or vx.

Janesey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pac
sweet as thanks mate, doesnt matter if its a series 2 vx motor n box into a series 1 computer or anything? thats my main concern? not that it matters cos im sure i can get the computer off the donor car as well

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
sweet as thanks mate, doesnt matter if its a series 2 vx motor n box into a series 1 computer or anything? thats my main concern? not that it matters cos im sure i can get the computer off the donor car as well

nah you should be all set to just drop it all straight in.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
By chance that you need the ECU off the donor car, grab the BCM as well, then you won't have to link them if you keep the original BCM.

Janesey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pac
By chance that you need the ECU off the donor car, grab the BCM as well, then you won't have to link them if you keep the original BCM.
Should i just get them both at the same time as i get the motor n trans? If i dont get them will i have issues? Ive just never done a swap on a newer car cos ive only changed engines in a wb one tonner and a torrie. I just dont know much about the whole computer side of things lol just need a bit of guidance, and picking it up from melbourne in a couple of days dont wanna have to make 2 trips haha so should i buy the ecu and bcm as well or will i not run into any problems?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You might as well grab them while you're there.
No need to swap them if you don't have to.
Keep them as spares, just in case.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Better grab the keys then also eh?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score