Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine warm up...?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I'd have to disagree, when the engine is cold the lubricants aren't up to temperature and aren't going to do their job as effectively, I don't care if it's a 1950's morris or a 2006 beemer that basic fact is not going to change. Also as engine components heat up they expand slightly, flogging the arse off it and putting too much force through cold components that aren't at their normal operating clearances yet just doesn't seem like a good idea. While newer cars definitely warm up quicker than older ones thanks to smartarse cooling system and the like and engine design's have improved to take more abuse, I still reckon it's good to take it easy till it gets up to temperature.

As I said in my post anyway, "But I wouldnt start her straight her up and start revvin her to 5000 either :p"

But you dont need to keep it under 2000rpm, normal driving is fine. Whilst it takes the car 10 minutes to warm up, it does not take the lubricants etc. 10 minutes to reach a reasonable operating temperature, it doesnt take long at all. Plus engines wear slightly as the km's tick on anyway, and 'operating clearance' shouldnt be a problem. Perhaps on a brand spanking new engine thats still tight, but on an engine with 50k on the clock thats already worn in, theres room to expand anyway because of the wear thats already taken place.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
mines a v8 and takes around 5mins to warm up so its not just a v6 thing its normal for all cars.
warm up times do differ from car to car though.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I don't go above 2500rpm until my coolant temperature is at operating.

I want to get an oil temp gauge, to see when the car is properly warmed up. My mums MG has one and that car is treated very gently until the oil temp gets to operating and then I'll start floggin the **** out of it..

Even if it's not a huge thing, it's just peace of mind for me..

KingDiamond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
I don't warm my VR up..
I start it, let it idle for like 5 seconds and off I go.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
The SS gets warmed up for at least 5 minutes no matter what. The VR gets started and flogged straight away:p
AirStrike :air:

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
As said above, there is no need to warm up the engine before you drive away as newer engines are designed to start up and drive away (waiting a few seconds after the start then driving normally that is). Warming the engine up before you drive away is doing more damage than starting and driving away.

Sitting at idle while cold will take alot longer for the engine and oil to warm up than driving the car. The ecu runs in open loop for a longer period of time, which makes the engine run rich to warm it up. Too much fuel at idle can wash the lubricants from the cylinder wall while running and cause scoring over a period of time.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
Hmm... I was just used to the VY SS, as soon as i started it up it was at normal running temp unless it was really cold, in which case it would only take under 5 mins, so I wasn't really sure... But thanks! And it's good to know I've been doing the 'right' thing :p

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
As said above, there is no need to warm up the engine before you drive away as newer engines are designed to start up and drive away (waiting a few seconds after the start then driving normally that is). Warming the engine up before you drive away is doing more damage than starting and driving away.

Sitting at idle while cold will take alot longer for the engine and oil to warm up than driving the car. The ecu runs in open loop for a longer period of time, which makes the engine run rich to warm it up. Too much fuel at idle can wash the lubricants from the cylinder wall while running and cause scoring over a period of time.

I'm not reccomending idling to warm up, just driving relatively gently until it's up to temperature. Fairly sensible I think.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
The manual says to not waste time and petrol warming up the engine.
But it doesn't hurt and it's your pocket lets not forget.
I like to let my car idle when warming for 4-5. I can drive off but it feel ticky and ruff. So warm it and then drive off and let the tranny work up some heat and drive like normal.

BMW introduced a lights out system so the lights go out one by one till it's at running temp everything, Holden should look into this system in the future it would be great.

Even my brother still warms his BA up. He believes in it as his EF had 350,000km plus and he warmed it everyday.
I warmed my mums VB up everyday and it ran close to 400,000km at best guess cause 12 years ago the clock stopped working with 245,000km.

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
guys i only cop this in the cold months like winter spring and autumn. i think thats how ur car works u have to warm it up in the cold monthsm but in the summer i start and drive. i have no idia y this is but yeh its best to warm the car b4 any trip coz my mechanic said u can damage ur wear and tear of ur motor.