Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engineering certificate for brake upgrade from SS to Brembo brakes ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
For your edification, directly from references on the web:

Following the development of the Zeta architecture and because of its position as the GM global center of RWD development, GM Holden in Australia led the final design, engineering, and development of the Camaro. Production of the coupé began on March 16, 2009, in LS, LT, and SS trim levels. LS and LT models are powered by a 3.6 L (220 cu in) V6 producing 312 hp (233 kW) for the 2010 and 2011 models mated to either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic with manual shift. The SS is powered by the 6.2 L (376 cu in) LS3 V8 producing 426 hp (318 kW) and is paired with a 6-speed manual. The automatic SS has the L99 V8 with 400 hp (300 kW).

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
This applies to power upgrades too. The safety systems knows that the car has "x" amount of torque so when needed it cuts the power to assist saving you. If you have shitloads more torque, the safety systems don't know this and will be disadvantaged as it has been designed around factory torque levels. They will still work but not as designed, so will be compromised.

Same as grippier tyres and brake pads, the safety systems uses algorithums based on stock grip level and stock pad bite/force and will apply the brakes to assist. Once you change, the system may over react or under react, no one knows and not even holden as they don't esign/test/validate for this, only around stock parts/powa levels.
Exactly. So how can we expect Holden to say "yes, go ahead and mod, we tested it. Don't worry about an engineer's certificate, we'll own the risk". Not a chance.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Exactly. So how can we expect Holden to say "yes, go ahead and mod, we tested it. Don't worry about an engineer's certificate, we'll own the risk". Not a chance.
no, you're right, but that's probably just a legal motivation. I think the only way is to get the engineering design work done...get someone recognised by the state department to do the hard yards and then a precedence is set.

It will cost, yes, but once out there, its a model to follow. There has to be groundbreakers in every endeavour.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
As I said we need Wooo to chime in with his process and provide us all with an educated answer to the process.

Tagging them like this @woooo might get them to the thread.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
FWIW, for those people willing to go down the engineering path, even for the V6 or non-Redline V8s, the Chevrolet website offered a Brembo upgrade (just the same as the Redline here) as an upgrade...no further software engineering required. There is a requirement to change the BMC to part number: 23120544 (does this correspond to our SS unit or SSV/Redline?

I know some might think the Camaro is different, but the Commodore has so many parts-binned items from that Australian-designed car, that uses the same Zeta platform...this must be useful information for an engineer to assist certification.

Link to Brake Upgrade option in US:
https://accessories.chevrolet.com/p...in-black-23120542/?evar25=Performance_Camaro5

Last edited:

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
You’re so wrong, the fifth gen Camaro ‘IS’ like for like. Same platform, same componentry, same donk, same brakes, designed by Holden...was lead-in design for VF.

Tryg we can turn this into a pissing contest but I have no desire and at no point in time did I take it down the path of being confrontational. Realistically you are still picking info from wikipedia and trying to piece together the Camaro and the VE are the same car and thus all parts are the same and we can use them on our car. You chose to ignore that the braking system on the Camaro is much larger than the VE with 360 front and 370 rears on the V8 variant. They are based off the same platform but they are different beasts.

If you want me to dig out the engineering differences of the two I will make attempts, but this is not what the thread is about. Am I an expert in the field far from it, I'm just a simple IT guy that enjoys cars. Do I know more than the average Joe about the design and development and internal workings of GM/Holden, sure do. Considering my wife was part of the planning and program management team from '06 I can call upon her knowledge and memory of the time and pass this onto the forum. Oh and her final posting with Holden was Director of Planning and Program Management and Director Portfolio Planning for GM IO.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Tryg we can turn this into a pissing contest but I have no desire and at no point in time did I take it down the path of being confrontational. Realistically you are still picking info from wikipedia and trying to piece together the Camaro and the VE are the same car and thus all parts are the same and we can use them on our car. You chose to ignore that the braking system on the Camaro is much larger than the VE with 360 front and 370 rears on the V8 variant. They are based off the same platform but they are different beasts.

If you want me to dig out the engineering differences of the two I will make attempts, but this is not what the thread is about. Am I an expert in the field far from it, I'm just a simple IT guy that enjoys cars. Do I know more than the average Joe about the design and development and internal workings of GM/Holden, sure do. Considering my wife was part of the planning and program management team from '06 I can call upon her knowledge and memory of the time and pass this onto the forum. Oh and her final posting with Holden was Director of Planning and Program Management and Director Portfolio Planning for GM IO.
No, the braking systems are incremental...like ours. You’re picking and choosing yourself, firing back without research.

I’m not being confrontational, just correcting mistakes.

Their V6 model has same as our V6, their SS has our Redline brakes. Their ZL1, has the big brake upgrade, like I want to use.

The difference is, Chevy will allow V6 owners to buy SS (Redline) brakes with a new BMC in the kit.

How forward thinking.

Holden designed the Camaro, it WAS the lead-in to our VF. That’s why there are so many interchangeable parts.

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
Looks like bigger Brembos to me but I must be wrong for believing everything that I read on the internet............

Attachments

• camaro.JPG
    camaro.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 181

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Looks like bigger Brembos to me but I must be wrong for believing everything that I read on the internet............
You just proved they have two sizes. Cheers! I’ll use that as evidence too.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Re-read the posts and Chevrolet links. It shows all the fifth gen brakes and upgrades. Points stands. A V6 owner can upgrade to 4-pot Brembis (same as our Redline) with simple BMC change and calipers/rotors.

You’re like a dog who won’t let go. It’s there in black and white...and my engineer said Yahtzee...so what is your problem? It’s a win for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.