Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EV cars.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Oh so it's Rupert's fault I imagine.

Well seeing as Faux News and Costello’s Cocks make up the majority of the media in this country then yes, they are to blame.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
You're assuming that will happen though.

Well they will drive it to happen because optics is far better than proper action so they will get the stick out on ICE vehicles and the carrot out on EVs, until such time as the decision is finalised and then the carrot will be replaced with the stick for EVs

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fuel excise is already levied on kms travelled.

Not really. Seeing as my SSV uses more than twice the fuel of a Toyota Corolla I would pay more than twice as much per kilometre traveled than the Corolla.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Not really. Seeing as my SSV uses more than twice the fuel of a Toyota Corolla I would pay more than twice as much per kilometre traveled than the Corolla.
Simply means the amount of excise we pay per km varies based on our choice of gas guzzler.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Simply means the amount of excise we pay per km varies based on our choice of gas guzzler.

Yes, on an individual basis we basically pay per kilometre (highway vs city consumption not withstanding) but on an aggregate basis it’s all over the place.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Fuel excise is already levied on kms travelled.

Well it's not really, it's liters burned irrespective of how far you travel.

The fairest thing to do would be to move every vehicle onto a 'per kilometer traveled' tax model and completely remove excise on fuel.
Probably not hard to set up automatic reporting and billing for modern electric vehicles that are already connected to their big brother manufacturers but the majority of Australia's transport fleet would need to have electronic monitoring and reporting equipment retro fitted.

That's what we have for the diesel fleet but it's not automatic, it's user pays and obviously during inspections the mileage is checked. That is what the EV's in NZ now work on too. It's referred to as RUC. Ideally all vehicles will move onto it and remove excise tax from petrol all together.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Well it's not really, it's liters burned irrespective of how far you travel.
Yes, they don't allow for idling whilst stuck in traffic jams...
Probably why they wont fix traffic snarls, free excise, plus GST on top.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The excise on petrol and diesel are the same, but diesel is more expensive because the servos now factor in the increase in efficiency you get from diesel to make you pay the same price as petrol. That’s what I suspect happens anyway.

I seem to notice, diesel only jumps 10c or so, where petrol jumps 50+c or so...At the moment diesel is round the $2.00 a litre, whilst 91 is $2.29 a litre.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I seem to notice, diesel only jumps 10c or so, where petrol jumps 50+c or so...At the moment diesel is round the $2.00 a litre, whilst 91 is $2.29 a litre.
You have generally been cheaper than us any time petrol prices have been mentioned. Our price around here is $1.98 for 91. Admittedly we are approaching the low end of the cycle. Costco is slowly going up, $2.10 for 98.

I have never understood this cycle thing. I know of no other business that does this.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have never understood this cycle thing. I know of no other business that does this.
Yeah it doesn't happen in Tasmania. We have some unmanned petrol stations and they are generally the cheapest. But they are not along my normal travel routes so I get lumped with $2.26 a litre 9 out of 10 fills.