Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Excessive Fuel Consumption

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
or are you using E10

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Running premium will do sweet FA for your economy.

Having experimented with lots of different brands and octane levels, over a period of 12 months, I can say that premium fuels get better mileage than 91. I found Vortex 95 to get the best economy of all the brands available in Adelaide when I did my testing 10 years ago. I found Vortex 95 gave me around 9% better economy over any 91, if driven at a steady pace and not hooning. I also found that going from 95 to 98 the difference was a smidge better and would equate to at best 1% better than 95. So for at least the last 10 years I have run 95.
Now this was only my testing and if people say I am wrong then I would encourage them to do their own tests.

Can I assume you have conducted your own testing to be able to credibly say that premium fuels make no difference to economy, or are you relying on popular opinion?

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
Having experimented with lots of different brands and octane levels, over a period of 12 months, I can say that premium fuels get better mileage than 91. I found Vortex 95 to get the best economy of all the brands available in Adelaide when I did my testing 10 years ago. I found Vortex 95 gave me around 9% better economy over any 91, if driven at a steady pace and not hooning. I also found that going from 95 to 98 the difference was a smidge better and would equate to at best 1% better than 95. So for at least the last 10 years I have run 95.
Now this was only my testing and if people say I am wrong then I would encourage them to do their own tests.

Can I assume you have conducted your own testing to be able to credibly say that premium fuels make no difference to economy, or are you relying on popular opinion?
I run 98 in mine for about 6 months. It is definitely happier on it but found little difference in economy.
Good luck to you though mate if your pulling those sort of gains well done mate thats huge!

Leenie gal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
How many tanks of premium have you put in so far? It will take 3 - 4 tanks of 95 - 98 before you will get noticeable improvement over 91.
This is the first and only got it last week.

Leenie gal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6

Will be interesting to see how it goes this week. I’m certainly not ignorant to the fact that I’m lugging a large car with an engine that’s obviously going to use more fuel than the 4 cylinder Mazda I got out of. In saying that I will be disappointed if I still can’t get the efficiency I got out of the VR and the VY models I have owned in the past.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I believe the VE V6 should get around 10lph on the highway which is better than a VR.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
If I were you I’d replace your pre cat converter oxygen sensors they aren’t very expensive and I’ll bet you will see a difference as I wrote above they are a service item

Leenie gal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
If I were you I’d replace your pre cat converter oxygen sensors they aren’t very expensive and I’ll bet you will see a difference as I wrote above they are a service item
Thanks vr304 I will definitely be checking that out ☺️