Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust mods for Motorsport, possibly Director & Magnum

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
It's not a hard thing for a manufacturer to add a oil temp gauge to go with the cooler using a binnacle like the HSV's, I'm surprised the cars with coolers don't have them.
Even the E series HSV had them.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Ok where does one get nice cats like the one pictured above? Some muffler places in Syd want a fortune to make them up and want your car as well,I would just like to buy over the counter take home and fit to my HSVs.
Through H&M were $650 the pair, but by some spooky allowed trick I just received an eBay notification here. That's why the Genie / Wildcats / Advanced and the Enhanced tri-ys with HFCs for a bit less than a grand seem good value.
BUT
They don't fit this application.
The primaries are good specs and material is fine but the secondary (collector) is compromised to fit the whole shebang into the stock catback flange location. Pisspoor but now you can tick that box and who's gonna know, right?
What I proposed in another thread is full sized well-made long tube 4-2-1 which do fit this application, mated with perfectly tuned secondaries and stainless HFCs as a package that ticks all the boxes.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The pacemakers are starting to.look like the go to me. Bittersweet.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
BUT
If you don’t already have HSVs I suggest using the PH5387 long tube tri-ys which do clear and perform much better through the rev range. Easy peasy.

Agree, several tuners have told me it's a waste of time fitting the HSV headers as there is only a small gain to be had with these with a tune.

MY17DIR

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 LE Director....
Agree, several tuners have told me it's a waste of time fitting the HSV headers as there is only a small gain to be had with these with a tune.

Certain tuners are in the business of telling customers that, they then get to sell you a nice pair of headers they supply....

Surely the HSV headers can be tweaked slightly to clear the engine oil cooler?? I would be putting 200 cell Magnaflow cats on mine anyway.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
https://www.pacemaker.com.au/header...e-vf/commodore-ve-vf-6-0-6-2l-v8-tri-y-detail

They do look good hey. Interesting how different the left and right headers are. I guess they're tuned length?

Re the HSV headers. I was thinking simply oxy off the existing flange. Clean up, rotate and re weld to same length? Also thought about opening up the cats. Insert similiar diameter 200cpi then re weld. It might sound like a lot of stuffing around. But the udea of retaining OEM (Albeit HSV) look on my MSE appeals to me. Probably still cheaper than going after market and no warranty issues...7 years is a long time!

I like this. I was also thinking the same, doing a cut and weld job on the left HSV header. Im wanting the HSV header because of the factory look it gives with its heat shield etc. Im not interested in aftermarket branded headers/cats.

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
I like this. I was also thinking the same, doing a cut and weld job on the left HSV header. Im wanting the HSV header because of the factory look it gives with its heat shield etc. Im not interested in aftermarket branded headers/cats.
Isn’t HSV still really aftermarket too though? Still won’t be standard Holden, not designed by Holden engineers
I don’t get the obsession with these hsv headers

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
I don't get it either, if you're going to modify your engine bay does it really matter?

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
And why go half arsed with the HSV ones when performance is of mind?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Just to be clear, HSV don’t make anything they produce cars.
These Perry / HM tri-y shorties have been around since LS1. Google HM shorties and you’ll see how and why they have become HSV’s most significant (successful) rebranding achievement until the release of those LED tail lights.