Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust System for VF SS-V Redline.

Panda69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS-V Redline
Hi All

I've been looking at getting a complete exhaust for my 2014 VF Commodore SS-V Redline Sportswagon, and would like people's thoughts on what I should get.

Other than also doing a OTR Cold Air Induction, my car will otherwise be stock.

Personally, I don't see the point in doing a Cam on my L77 engine, as much as I'd like to....

What are people's thoughts on a 2.5 inch vs a 3 inch on an otherwise stock engine? As I am a shift worker, I am leaving for (and getting home from) work at all hours, so I selected the "Quiet" option on the MPI Automotive website.

Also, I do not want an exhaust that Drones.

I'm considering the Manta SSMKHN0327 2.5 inch kit - https://www.mpiautomotive.com/product/14881-vf-v8-sedan-wagon-2-5in-with-extractors-muffler-muffler

Same exhaust at the Exhaust Shop - https://www.exhaustshop.com.au/prod...h-extractors-muffler-muffler-ssmkhn0327-15753

Sadly I've got a real crappy drive way, and at the moment part of the OEM exhaust sits under the chassis rails and just scrapes on my driveway.

Keeping my car in my garage is important to me, as I work hard for my money to buy my toys, I'd like to keep them safe and away from the elements.

What are the clearances like on the Manta exhausts? Is that something a good exhaust shop can help me with? I live in Ulladulla NSW, and have been looking at Oak Flats Muffler Men to do my exhaust. I am open for recommendations for anyone else to do my exhaust though.

Eventually when the exhaust and OTR CAI is done, Clarice (my SS-V SPortswagon) will be going in to get a dyno tune done.

Everyone's thoughts and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Panda.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I had been dealing with Manta for 30 years, even before they were Manta. That system is an excellent choice, I highly recommend it. It will be moderately quiet at idle, nice cruising note and a decent V8 note when you get into it.

Clearance wise, they would have to be one of the best, as long as the fitter knows you need good ground clearance. There's a difference between bolting it on and fitting it correctly. The headers and cats need to be held up as high as possible when the bolts are tightened or it will hang lower due to movement in the bolt holes.

Panda69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS-V Redline
I had been dealing with Manta for 30 years, even before they were Manta. That system is an excellent choice, I highly recommend it. It will be moderately quiet at idle, nice cruising note and a decent V8 note when you get into it.

Clearance wise, they would have to be one of the best, as long as the fitter knows you need good ground clearance. There's a difference between bolting it on and fitting it correctly. The headers and cats need to be held up as high as possible when the bolts are tightened or it will hang lower due to movement in the bolt holes.

Thanks for your reply, greatly appreciated.

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire

@ Not an Abba Fa
What are your thoughts on the Walkinshaw full systems, if you don't mind? I am just starting my research phase and just trying to get some feedback

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
Let us know what you end up with. I would love to get an exhaust on my wagon as well.

But very wary as the stock one is almost borderline droning on mine. I take it that you have driven it with the back seats folded down?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
@ Not an Abba Fa
What are your thoughts on the Walkinshaw full systems, if you don't mind? I am just starting my research phase and just trying to get some feedback

Never really had a lot to do with them TBH, the few that I have heard were not very special. I don't like the way they have twin tips but only one is active, when you see them, one is always clean and the other one is carboned up.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Never really had a lot to do with them TBH, the few that I have heard were not very special. I don't like the way they have twin tips but only one is active, when you see them, one is always clean and the other one is carboned up.

pretend outlets make baby jeebus cry.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Whereas Baby Yoda would simply crush them with his mind.

two fictional characters with quite different responses :)

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire

Thanks for the reply. I agree it looks funny when you have only one dirty.