Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust System

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Best thing I did was go from 3 -> 2.5 inch
Yes it is not as loud and attention grabbing, but that suits me. No drone and no impact on performance (360rwkw) with what I consider a better note - win win.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What mods to reach 360kw? 6L manual gets around 330 with a cam on a happy dyno. Does extra .2L get an extra 30kw?

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
What mods to reach 360kw? 6L manual gets around 330 with a cam on a happy dyno. Does extra .2L get an extra 30kw?
I'm 6L
360 is on e85
350 on 98

Increased compression to 11:1
218/226 .600/.600 112+2 cam

Dyno is probably a little happy, before cam and head decking made 298kw. 350 after cam/heads middle of winter, 360 on e85 middle of summer.
All same dyno

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
That's the VE ute pic, perfect!

A bloke argued that I stuck his tips out too far and I told him when the exhaust is hot, they stick out a bit further and he didn't believe me!

I don't like the SV6 tips much in the large bumper cut out and without making a 4 cylinder Torana look like an A9X, I won't fit quad tips to a V6. Oval tips would be a good alternative to fill the cut out if I can find something with suitable dimensions.

View attachment 264785

The tips on my AMGs stick out a long way when the exhaust is hot.

I found out the hard way when I was getting something out of the boot and my shin touched one.

This is the old Walky style oval tips I have on my R8, I'm away so I don't have access to better photos but this is from my youtube account and will give you a bit of an idea.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The tips on my AMGs stick out a long way when the exhaust is hot.

I found out the hard way when I was getting something out of the boot and my shin touched one.

This is the old Walky style oval tips I have on my R8, I'm away so I don't have access to better photos but this is from my youtube account and will give you a bit of an idea.

I don't think I've ever seen those Walky tips before?
The Walky tips I see the most are the dual outlet, machined from billet alloy tips. (dual outlet, one piece)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Best thing I did was go from 3 -> 2.5 inch
Yes it is not as loud and attention grabbing, but that suits me. No drone and no impact on performance (360rwkw) with what I consider a better note - win win.
2.5" will flow at least 580 flywheel hp and there wouldn't be many NA road car engines making that power to use a 3" exhaust. The exhaust gas velocity or air speed is faster in 2.5" to maximise X-pipe scavenging efficiency. Ideally, 3" caters for supercharged applications and not NA unless it's radically modified and making 600+ flywheel HP.

The other advantage of 2.5" other than better ground clearance, is more muffling capacity to customise noise level and note where 3" predominantly in a VE/VF chassis are pretty loud and drony. It doesn't mean all 2.5" exhausts are good, as quite a few have restrictive bends and mufflers with the equivalent flow of a good 2.25". When a 3" makes more power than a 2.5" on mildly modified engine, it's usually a better flowing cat arrangement on the 3" system responsible for the extra power.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have 3" on mine but the zorst came with the car when I bought it. It sounds nice but it is loud. Wife got permission to drive it the other day I heard her take off and yep it is pretty loud. The best mate knows when I coming up the road and starts his excited bark.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My right tail pipe used to run on the coupling at one point. It didn't when I first got it but I had the muffler welded when the weld broke and took a piece with it. The bloke welded it in two spots to ensure it didn't happen again. I had him level the pipes up at the same time but it then interfered with the coupling on the right. I had it dented but they didn't do it right and it still rubbed. I pulled the exhaust off myself and redid the dent and gave it a good 10mm clearance. Been fine since but I needed a new coupling.