Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust System

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
His car, VF Clubsport sedan, sounded epic, loudish, but not heat seaker loud cruising around, and zero drone

After a quick look at the Racecraft site just then, the parts that he supplied cost him around $1.5k, so a total cost of around $3.5k for excellence
My interpretation of excellence for a VF Clubsport and VF2 is maintaining bimodal rear mufflers, not a bimodal delete. A pair of custom fabricated stainless bimodals would cost at least 2k to earn $100 per hour + GST in a workshop scenario. The other issue is good fabricators who can TIG weld aren't cheap to employ either, the reason most exhaust shops don't do full exhaust customisation work.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I have recently purchased a VF Series 2 sedan and want a new exhaust system (full stainless 3”). I have been told that the manta systems are way overpriced and that I should go for an XForce system. Any advice will be much appreciated

I wouldn't buy an X-force exhaust again.
BUT, if you get one cheap enough, cut out the X-pipe and replace with a H pipe and you'll be happy with it.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I have recently purchased a VF Series 2 sedan and want a new exhaust system (full stainless 3”). I have been told that the manta systems are way overpriced and that I should go for an XForce system. Any advice will be much appreciated

If XForce is your budget then go for it, there are plenty of them about, so not everyone will look don't their nose at you.

I'd also be budgeting for a tune to make the most of it, that way you'll know your exhaust can perform as well as someone else who has a 3 inch system on a mild street engine.

As RevNev says, you don't need a 3 inch system for a mild setup but then again, you are not going to be able to really use the little power advantage a 2.5 inch has over it on the street, so why not go for the cool look if that's what you're after.

Make sure you get the fattest quad tips possible to fill up the cutouts at the back, as that is the look that kills over the pea shooters that come from the factory.

A half an inch of overhang also looks good in my mind.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Make sure you get the fattest quad tips possible to fill up the cutouts at the back, as that is the look that kills over the pea shooters that come from the factory.

A half an inch of overhang also looks good in my mind.
I remember a photo of your old green VE ute had the right tip size and placement. I'm not a fan of the factory pee shooters hanging low in the bumper cut outs and not protruding past the bumper enough.

I've thought of trying a Mercedes style oval tips to fill the bumper cut outs, but there's not much readily available in the right dimensions.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Haven‘t personally seen one in the flesh myself but apparently black ops are a pretty decent and fairly cheap system that sound good according to the boost gumps YouTube channel, having watched a lot of their content can definitely say they know what they’re doing and talking about

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
When I bought my ve it had a twin x force.3" system with the centre mufflers deleted. Even with my hearing loss it sounded real bad. It was the first change I made, I now have a factory 2 1/2 system that sounds ok to me though both the ute and the VH have a lot better sound.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I remember a photo of your old green VE ute had the right tip size and placement. I'm not a fan of the factory pee shooters hanging low in the bumper cut outs and not protruding past the bumper enough.

I've thought of trying a Mercedes style oval tips to fill the bumper cut outs, but there's not much readily available in the right dimensions.

It's a pity the oval of the Mercedes tips are too wide for the Holden cutouts as they look good, as do the ones on the Jags and Audis.

I have oval Walkinshaw tips on my E Series Clubsport, they are a dual setup and not quads, I've never really liked the look of them.

The Ute had 3.5 inch diameter tips for memory and extended half an inch out from the rear bar and a little bit longer when the exhaust was hot.

1709205939192.jpeg

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
It's a pity the oval of the Mercedes tips are too wide for the Holden cutouts as they look good, as do the ones on the Jags and Audis.

I have oval Walkinshaw tips on my E Series Clubsport, they are a dual setup and not quads, I've never really liked the look of them.

The Ute had 3.5 inch diameter tips for memory and extended half an inch out from the rear bar and a little bit longer when the exhaust was hot.
That's the VE ute pic, perfect!

A bloke argued that I stuck his tips out too far and I told him when the exhaust is hot, they stick out a bit further and he didn't believe me!

I don't like the SV6 tips much in the large bumper cut out and without making a 4 cylinder Torana look like an A9X, I won't fit quad tips to a V6. Oval tips would be a good alternative to fill the cut out if I can find something with suitable dimensions.

20230909_205842.jpg

Mickg0756

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SS UTE
The deep burble/rumble of the full DPE fitted to the ute is just so bloody intoxicating! Take it out for drives just to hear that note!