Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
When I put an xforce catback on mine there was a raised volume at idle listening at back, but had very little noticeable difference in the cabin pottering about around idle-1300rpm.
Swap the cast headers for R8 extractors, cost you $300 installed and will get your new xpipe system working properly. And will go better too.
If you want to hear the pulses working at idle through 2000k and a much bigger sound after that, swap the cats for 200cpsi metal hi flow with a 2.5" mandrel from R8 flange to cat. Shedloads more performance when / if you get more lift and intake flow down the track.
Total cost of R8 extractors, flanges, mandrel and cats fitted $800-$900, totally worth it.
Then our engine's resonant drone at 1800 (starts 1500 tapers 2100) becomes more evident on long trips feathering throttle at highway speeds. That will cost you another $300 (not just xforce but all catbacks without stock/AFM mufflers) to eliminate.

Last edited:

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
You're probably listening to full systems on YouTube. And exhaust as a catback only won't sound that good. Just because of the shitty factory manifolds and unbelievably restrictive factory cats. Change to 4-1 headers and high flow cats it will transform the sounds hands down. My xforce catback sounded ****. Got the manta full system with hurricane headers and I can hear the rumble coming out the back on the car from inside and no drone at all. Half the problem is xforce the other half is factory headers and cats choking it up. Hsv headers would be better than ss hesders but they still hit a brick wall with the factory cats. Remember they are euro 4, 400 CPI! Hi flow are either 200 or 100. BIG difference to performance and sound.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

tonkass

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ve Sv6 2008
My ride...Go Pro Hero 3 Holden SSV A6 Test - YouTube I choose Xforce in my Ve ssv for the reason that I prefered the sound over any other exhaust. Others such as Difillipo and Kpm along with hurricane I found were to soft where the 2.5 inch xforce setup was just the right sound for what I was looking for. Any exhaust centre installer will tell you that the H pipe or the X pipe merge is standard in the industry and most mandrel bent exhausts need to be adjusted even a little bit to get them to fit right so if anyone tells you otherwise they are just biased to a particular exhaust. One has to remember that once a new exhaust is installed carbon has to build up in the pipes for the true sound to develop. Some advice when purchasing Xforce exhausts in Ve ss and hsv setups... Get stainless steel headers and cats combined with mild steel catback as the stainless catbacks sound more like a tin can. There have been issues also with the varex over time as they tend to sound dull after a couple of years due to carbonisation build up. This is just my opinion and info that I've gained form exhaust centres and tuners over the years. Cheers, best of luck with her.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Any exhaust centre installer will tell you that the H pipe or the X pipe merge is standard in the industry and most mandrel bent exhausts need to be adjusted even a little bit to get them to fit right so if anyone tells you otherwise they are just biased to a particular exhaust.

If this is the case why does everyone complain about Xforce fitment and not any other brands, also I'm sure if others brands have bad fitment we would see forum posts about that too.

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
I put xforce cat back on first, and it didn't make much rumble at all, only at down change, bit of a crackle and pop, and it is slightly louder.

Then I put VCM OTR on, make no noticeable audible difference.

Then I put xforce extractors and cats on, ...mate, it was much louder and definitely sounds like a rumbling V8 should be, at idle, accelerate and down change.

So the verdict is, get your extractor and cats on, a must for a V8, catback wont do it by itself.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Any exhaust centre installer will tell you that the H pipe or the X pipe merge is standard in the industry and most mandrel bent exhausts need to be adjusted even a little bit to get them to fit right so if anyone tells you otherwise they are just biased to a particular exhaust.

Not sure if you're serious here.

Most exhausts do need to be "adjusted", but not the way you are inferring. There is enough play in the bolt holes to get it to sit right. If you have to bend stuff to get it to fit, then it's not made right in the first place. I don't mean a bracket either, as sometimes a bracket will bend in transit. If you have to heat and bend or cut and weld, then the quality is questionable.

Also, the X pipe "merge" is put in to try and stop the raspy note that quality mufflers just do not have. Most X type merge's are poorly done with the size of the cross over being too small, or made incorrectly so it is a restriction. But as I said, most of the time the merge is put in to reduce the raspy note, not for performance or flow.

tonkass

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ve Sv6 2008
Suppose you missed "most mandrel bent exhausts need to be adjusted even a little bit to get them to fit right" That's "most" and "little bit" just incase you missed it... not all

My Xforce exhaust sounds awesome and has no fitment problems or warranty issues and I've had it installed for years. From my experience I don't see a problem with the exhausts. I do believe Gm Motorsports sold Difillipo exhaust systems only for a long time until they turned around and made a contract with Xforce just recently and are selling more than ever before. Why don't you ask them why they changed?. It has a lot to do with price - performance value and the difference between the $5,000 setups like Kpm and Difillipo compared with Xforce's is so minimal you wouldn't even notice it. I'm talking 5rwkw... and even then the loss in power would be pointed towards the otr. Never heard of why the x pipe was designed... because of the raspy sound? If you say so, your the expert right...

tonkass

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ve Sv6 2008
It sounds like many people have an issue with Xforce exhausts purley because so many of them are around. You do realize that Xforce have a 5 year warranty and there is a supplier in every state that will fix any issue that is related to fitment. More research is in order...