Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Experience with Paddle Shift on Redline

frasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Sedan MY17 SOAG
Hi all,

I have an auto redline on order and it has paddle shift. I'm moving from a Manual to an auto for a few reasons (one being dealer availability) but also I like having the option to be lazy in the city and have the option to shift manually and have some fun through the gears will be good.

My question is what do people think of them, is it very close to driving a manual without a clutch? My dealer assured me it was and I believe it would be but just hoping for some feedback. Taking delivery a month from today so I'm getting quite eager.

Cheers all!!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Autos are fast, manuals are truly engaging and regardless of the marketing or salesperson spin, paddle shifts don’t change that premise.

There is nothing wrong with a well setup trans with paddles if you are in a hurry but they'll never be anything like a manual in my opinion.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Autos are fast, manuals are truly engaging and regardless of the marketing or salesperson spin, paddle shifts don’t change that premise.

There is nothing wrong with a well setup trans with paddles if you are in a hurry but they'll never be anything like a manual in my opinion.

Yeah, I had the paddleshift on a 2006 SV6 VZ, now on a VF2 SV6 ute & soon to be SS wagon. I find them more novelty than anything and don't use them for long periods of time - maybe that's it, that I haven't practised enough but I don't try & use them in the city - too much stopping, turning of corners etc (I would prefer a true manual there).

Have used them over Mt Glorious a few times which is far better; short, sharp twists with changing gradients I find them a lot of fun.

But as I have always said, it is just a smaller, thicker, plusher far more comfortable wheel all round - & that's what you're gripping whether the car be auto or manual - to me the flappies are the added bonus to a great wheel.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'm another one firmly in the "not like a manual" camp.
Faster than a manual; you can control the car pretty-much as well as with a manual; but not as engaging.

We bought an auto though, many many reasons you'd prefer one, and all valid.

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
They're both entertaining in their own ways. Manual obviously quite raw, plenty of fun in the right setting but can also be a pain in the ass. The auto you can set and forget obviously, then when you get busy with the paddles it delivers an experience you'd almost liken to a video game- perfect shifts every time, rev matches downshifts automatically, double tap the paddle to drop 2 gears at once, the series IIs have some of that 'look at me' spark cut style crackle when it upshifts (although I imagine it's a torque reduction technique to preserve the trans, not a wanky gimmick like many Euro sports cars). So yeah, different experience entirely, still very enjoyable.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
They're both entertaining in their own ways. Manual obviously quite raw, plenty of fun in the right setting but can also be a pain in the ass. The auto you can set and forget obviously, then when you get busy with the paddles it delivers an experience you'd almost liken to a video game- perfect shifts every time, rev matches downshifts automatically, double tap the paddle to drop 2 gears at once, the series IIs have some of that 'look at me' spark cut style crackle when it upshifts (although I imagine it's a torque reduction technique to preserve the trans, not a wanky gimmick like many Euro sports cars). So yeah, different experience entirely, still very enjoyable.
You've summed it up nicely Davison.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
I haven't had the opportunity to practice much with mine and think I would only use them on a road trip. Way more convenient than taking your hand off the wheel to use the gear lever. Will have to practice when the wife's not in the left hand driver's seat because on a little round trip through the hinterland the other week I got the "what are you doing, stop playing with all the controls" thing... :(
PS - the steering wheel shape and feel is absolutely perfect - shame you have to pay for the paddle pack to get it.

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
I haven't had the opportunity to practice much with mine and think I would only use them on a road trip. Way more convenient than taking your hand off the wheel to use the gear lever. Will have to practice when the wife's not in the left hand driver's seat because on a little round trip through the hinterland the other week I got the "what are you doing, stop playing with all the controls" thing... :(
PS - the steering wheel shape and feel is absolutely perfect - shame you have to pay for the paddle pack to get it.
I like that the "left hand drivers seat". Very good.

frasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Sedan MY17 SOAG

The paddle shifters in the MY17 redline are standard :)

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
The paddle shifters in the MY17 redline are standard :)
Ummm yes. I do have a redline. Forgive me for being an i7 and multithreading. some forum members who don't have Redlines have upgraded their steering wheels at great expense. this profile steering wheel should be standard across the range as it offers superior feel and comfort, whether you want the paddles or not.