Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EYY's HJ Ute

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Bit of progress, managed to score some commodore cup yellaterra pre pollution heads, adjustable 1.65 Yella Terra shaft mount rockers, alloy finned rocker covers and a steel romac balancer for an awesome price. Got the whole lot for about half the price new rockers.

When I get my full licence I'll fit the tri-y's I have at home and fit the rockers. If I decide to use a bigger cam I'll fit the yellaterra heads too as they have double valve springs which would allow me to run considerably higher lift (and no valve bounce).

These parts on a commodore cup spec 253 with regulation cam and intake etc made 170rwkw in a VH. I purchased the performer intake from the same guy, and was actually on the same engine. With some compression, cam and a decent exhaust I'm sure it won't be too difficult to at least match that figure with the old 308 (although it's an auto).

When I start full time work (I'm still a student), I'll look into converting it back to petrol as it will be a little easier to make good power. Since I'd be lucky to drive it once a week, the price of petrol won't be much of a problem.

YQMSHk3.jpg

y4BqgIj.jpg

Rirzvqp.jpg

VlfeLzG.jpg

TthLZHV.jpg

zsGjQOE.jpg

Apologies for the bad photos, I really need a new phone and it was dark when I took the pics :p

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Leave it on gas and turbro it......

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
haha I've considered slapping a turbo on it and it'd make decent power pretty cheap, but it's too much hassle legality wise :(

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
If I end up in mods engineering, I'll engineer it for you :p

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Not much has been happening with this lately, just been looking into rebuilding the 308 again to get it moving a bit better and improve the oil pressure.

I purchased another 304 bottom end last week. So far the plans are to rebuild the 308 using the 304 rotating assembly which will give me stronger rods and larger rod bolts (and ultimately a newer, better balanced crank).

From there this is the plan:
All new KING bearings along with .002 undersized cam bearings to assist oil pressure
Flat top pistons
Recondition the Yellaterra heads and open up the intake ports a little and tidy up the exhausts & machine heads to reach 10.5:1 compression
1.65 Yellaterra roller rockers
Edelbrock performer
Quadrajet
Tri-Y extractors and twin 2.25" exhaust

Still undecided on whether to use a hydraulic or solid cam. If it's a hydraulic, I'll probably go for a 286. Solid, I'm thinking a crane 272 or one of camtech's smaller grinds.

Also got a 4.44 salisbury lined up for it. Should get it moving a bit better.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Small update. Got a twin 2.5 exhaust for it cheap, so I'm in the process of fitting it now. I was told it came from a ute, but I don't think so. Given it's length it must've been off a tonner as the H pipe interferes with the gearbox crossmember (about 20cm too far forward). So far I've cut about 25cm from the mid section of the exhaust, and welded flanges to the rear section to replace the crappy slip joints.

Anyway, went on the HQ cruise in Melbourne with Sandman a couple of weekends ago. Everything went well and the cars were amazing, I was one of the odd ones out with the HJ, but they didn't seem to mind (I've been cruising with them before). Here are a few pics (credit to respective photographers).

1G5he7s.jpg

Courtesy of Sandman
CyDzVPw.jpg

Apart from the exhaust, the ute hasn't been touched in a fair while. The lack of oil pressure doesn't seem to bother it really...