Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

F150 tow rig

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Also the obligatory I went to Wandin photos too. (Local car meet).

ddOOmvD.jpg

NkuUa6h.jpg

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So, small updates. A week before the end of the working year I decided I should finally get round to lowering/levelling out the rear of this. Did some measurements and worked out it needed an 85mm drop to in the rear to bring it level with the front. Should still give me reasonable bump stop clearance, ride height and all that. May well require helper airbags for heavier loads but the plan was to get to that when I was presented with it. So yanked the springs out and took them down to Betta Springs in Dandy to get reset, the clips were pretty hammered too so they got reset and all new hardware too, nice quick turn around too.

Got the springs home and started bolting them back in, LHS spring secured at both ends and as I try and seat it on the spring perch I realise that the bolt holding the pack together is larger than the old one, so the cutout in the perch isnt't big enough. Its too big for any drill bits I had, so out comes the die grinder to open up the hole another 2mm, unfortunately this mean pulling the spring out again so I had enough room to swing the die grinder. I chucked an old file between the axle tube and spring perch to make sure there was no chance of damaging the tube. From there it was fairly smooth sailing, getting the shocks bolted back into the diff was a royal pain through and required the use of a ratchet strap which did the job in the end. From there got everything mounted up and happy days, then looked at the bumpstop clearance and think gee thats closer than it should be, I measure the guard height and its 20mm lower than I was hoping for. A bit invisible caravan but looks alright, but certainly not ideal, so the possibly needing helper airbags has turned into will certainly need helper airbags which I'll be ordering with the boxing day sales. That said, drove it down to the Hastings cruise night Friday and it drives quite nicely now, didn't hit the bumpstops either even with average roads at 100kmh. Following Airbags then its new wheels and tyres which are also long overdue. Going to be an expensive holiday season at this rate.

How it started, excessively high in the rear for no real reason.
8IQycfh.jpg

FO70b4l.jpg

Everything out
nYei9pK.jpg

Intended height, level or within 5mm or so.
gO48KC4.jpg

All reset and looking schmick
yTpjWGG.jpg

Spring perch hole still looking mostly round after trial by die grinder.
x7JWaXX.jpg

Compressing the shocks to get them back onto the diff, this was a pain and using a jack wasnt an option due to the angle the shocks mount on.
pISPpA1.jpg

How it sits now, not level ground either here, but looks a hell of a lot nicer and should be much easier to load with the heavy junk I often use it for.
aesXlo1.jpg

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Its coil springs in the front, which can be shifted to suit, but if I can run it at the 20mm higher with the airbags like I intended on originally it should be more practical which is the aim.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Took it down to Hastings for a spin on NYD, made the most of the good weather. Also my airbag setup arrived over the weekend. Now if Melbourne would quit this whole raining in summer thing I might actually be able to install them.

0NjwzJT.jpg

N64csOI.jpg

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Took it down to Hastings for a spin on NYD, made the most of the good weather. Also my airbag setup arrived over the weekend. Now if Melbourne would quit this whole raining in summer thing I might actually be able to install them.

0NjwzJT.jpg

N64csOI.jpg
That's how an F150 should look. Not like the behemoths I see every day.

Oz_Bloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM CAPRICE V
Went to do my rear end bushes today only to find my jack stands aren't high enough to reach anything at ride height so had to go find some bigger ones. Never had a tall car before clearly.
I found a good set of ramps to be best - gives much more room to move when underneath..

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Ha HA Ha Melbourne and no rain.
Although = the last month up here , about 150+ kms north of Sydney hasn't been much better.
Lookin out at dark/ overcast skies as I post.

EDIT: Last Saturday evening was a cracker though , ( outdoors on a property, semi rural, for a birthday party) , not to hot, fine , very enjoyable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex