Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

F150 tow rig

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Soooooo,

Some updates, but not heaps. So the Barra swap is still on the cards, but just those cards are probably a lot further away now. I'm working flat stick trying to buy a house, etc etc, so the time more than anything just isn't there. So with this in mind about a month ago I got the C6 rebuild by Eastern Automatics in Clayton, they also put in a shift kit as it would be used for towing and hauling heavy junk. I've probably driven it 150km tops since then but it seems good so far. I've got an Autometer Trans temp gauge left over from my HQ so will plumb that in when I have some spare daylight hours.

I also worked out its a 3.0:1 gearset in the 9" so next thing to do will be to add a shorter set of diffgears and possibly a LSD centre of some sort. As with the 31's on it its geared like its got 2.6's which is not great for towing or load carrying. I'm looking to go either a 3.7 or 3.9, which would give me a 23-30% torque advantage which would help get it off the line a lot better. I found out the hard way yesterday what happens when your diff singles (no idea if its a flogged LSD or just an open diff) as I got stuck on my mates nature strip as it was on a hill and wet/slippery. Because of council works and a deep hole behind me I had to go up hill and do a 15 point maneuver to try and get back on the tarmac and even so still managed to slap a star picket with the back of the tray on the way out too (last pic).

6SYT3vC.jpg

Pjd0NSi.jpg

01A8jyo.jpg

eRHdYfj.jpg

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Soooo still not a lot going on, but I did buy a set of 3.9s for it. They're sitting on a barstool in the shed still as the dictator has us all under lockdown still.

Trying to work out why my reverse camera isn't working now, I have power at the fusebox but but the Headunit thinks the camera is off. Have power at the fuse box, but haven't got anything small enough to probe this at the camera end. So if anyone can ID this connector it would greatly help in my efforts, looks kinda similar to a JST connector but isn't, its a 5 pin.

773dizf.jpg

ppri1Jf.jpg

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I can't help with the plug.
Grab a paperclip and unwind a section, whack it in a vice and flatten it, should allow you to probe the pins

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Good idea that, tried a nail but didn't have one small enough.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So turns out loom end is the female plug not the male, contradicting the manual. Which also means that I have power at the last connection before the camera, so my issue is somewhere between the camera and the headunit. There literally isn't any joints between other than at the back of the headunit and the ground (already checked). So I guess I'll have to contact Kenwood and see what they say.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Soooo not a whole lot to update here, but been using this a fair bit more as the Maloo is out of action once again. Got the diff rebuilt a couple of weeks back with new 3.5:1 gears and had the LSD refurbished. between that and the rebuilt box it drives pretty well now for an old 3 speed truck. Also wired up a SAAS trans temp gauge, did have a mechanical autometer one here but the bung didn't fit through the firewall so sold that off and got a new electrical one. Still need to make a proper mount for it (currently a PLA 3d printed on one the pillar) but at least its working. As I've been driving it more too I got some felt from Bunnings and started lining the glovebox with it. Thats where I ran the phone cord from the heat unit and am a bit happier with a softer surface rather than it potentially getting scratched on the hard old plastic. This was also a lot harder than I imagined so its not done yet but you get the idea. Somehow the whole HVAC system has also decided it doesn't want to play ball so at some point I'll have to troubleshoot that, but at least I have a slidey rear window in the meantime.

Sensor for the trans temp gauge, removed the crappy factory plug and replaced it with a waterproof Deutsch plug
pQJObfq.jpg

Mounted in the hot line between the trans and the cooler
6qgL17v.jpg

Chassis end of the temp loom, happy with my wrap job here
vuEY8Nx.jpg

Glovebox as it started
7AkHsDk.jpg

Glovebox felted, not done yet and not the best job but happy enough with the finish
73oTYC0.jpg

Random photos from being out and about
f8oPcvh.jpg

pJzYeww.jpg

oaN2h03.jpg