Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Factory built Ecotech engine in an SV6?

deathy

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6
Hey, I'm new to my mechanical understanding of cars and I'm quite confused at what I have. I got this car for free off my sister lets say she won't be driving for a while (DUI) :p It was bought from a dealer advertised as a 2004 VY SV6 but from my research I now understand they don't exist and that all SV6's are VZ. Well it gets more confusing as the car is registered as a VY or as the dealer/ previous owner a "VY SV 6 MAN" with a 3.8L engine, yep an Ecotech. And the chassis plate has VY on it. All the other parts of the car, side skirts suspension (FE2), sun glasses holder, SV6 badges, SV6 marked seats, cruise control, front and rear bumper, are from what I gather standard SV6 parts. Apart from the front guard panel which doesn't have the Alloytech badge but simply a "V6".

So could it be possible that Holden had an optional Ecotech version of the SV6? Here are some pictures. :hmmm:

Cheers!

20141228_21431257.jpg20141228_2236002.jpg20141228_2142522.jpg

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
You have a run of the mill VY S. Somebody has probably fitted seats and badges.

Mistakes happen at the RTA as well. My VY ute was registered as a VU.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
No it is not possible , someone has just put SV6 badges on , and so far as I'm aware they did not have SV6 marked seats either ,

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
As the compliance plate shows it as a VY with a Aug ‘03 build date, I think somebody may have been misled by saying it is a 2004 model. It may have been first rego’d in 2004.
And, as the other two replies have said, it may be a case of swapping seats, badges etc, but there could be another explanation.
Last century ( yes, that long ago ) GMH would build a vehicle with a non-standard color and trim to try out combinations for the next model or update, and these would then be a “company” car before being onsold to the public at a later date.
Perhaps yours is one of those type of vehicles. Other members of this forum could confirm if this was common practise early 2000s.
If you are lucky, take your VIN to Holden and they can advise you what the car is, and if it has a “history”.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
SV6 wasn't until the VZ, You have a VY.

I'm not sure what other information you're trying to track down? It's an old car.
Previous owner swapped out some parts & put on some badges.

You say it was advertised as a "VY SV 6 MAN" Which is correct, A VY S V6 Manual.

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Isn't it an old police car? As the plate says VY P/CAR.

deathy

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6
Thanks for the info guys, strange that someone would be bothered changing all the front and back seats and changing the badges. :bomb: