Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brayden3223

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Lumina
Howdy guys, just a few questions as the ol vz likes to piss fluids and it’s starting to get annoying.

1. How hard is it to do the rear main seal (am mechanically minded and half decent on the tools) and any tips/tricks to make the job a bit easier

2. Basically the same as Question 1 but about the Timing cover gaskets

3. The power steering pump seems to have just started leaking at a fairly fast rate, what’s the process of replacing this or am I better off upgrading to an Astra Pump as I’ve heard they’re more reliable (Car is a Daily and doesn’t get thrashed) and if so what model does the pump have to come off and what else will I need?

cheers boys

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I find it easier to pull the engine to do all those gaskets. You have to do the sump gasket when doing the rear main and timing cover because you should pull the whole plate off to do the gasket and rear main at the same time.

Brayden3223

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Lumina
I find it easier to pull the engine to do all those gaskets. You have to do the sump gasket when doing the rear main and timing cover because you should pull the whole plate off to do the gasket and rear main at the same time.
So it’s best to drop the whole engine out and do it all?
How long did it take you to do it all roughly?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
So it’s best to drop the whole engine out and do it all?
How long did it take you to do it all roughly?

Well I could do all that in a day at work if you're at home I have no idea as I rarely work at home without a hoist.

Brayden3223

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Lumina
Well I could do all that in a day at work if you're at home I have no idea as I rarely work at home without a hoist.
Ah fair call, originally I was planning to throw the car on stands and drop the gearbox for rear main (with help from one of the boys who’s a mechanic) and then for the timing cover, pull off the front bar, pull the fans and then drop out all the other necessities for the bit of extra wiggle room

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Ah fair call, originally I was planning to throw the car on stands and drop the gearbox for rear main (with help from one of the boys who’s a mechanic) and then for the timing cover, pull off the front bar, pull the fans and then drop out all the other necessities for the bit of extra wiggle room

You can do that but then you risk the sump leaking as it's gaskets but up against the other two gaskets.
Then to do the sump you have to lower the cross member or raise the engine. You'll have the fron bar off the gearbox off an engine crane in the way it'll be a **** fight. Much eaiser to just pull the engine and do them on a stand. Then you can address any other issues you come across.

Brayden3223

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Lumina
You can do that but then you risk the sump leaking as it's gaskets but up against the other two gaskets.
Then to do the sump you have to lower the cross member or raise the engine. You'll have the fron bar off the gearbox off an engine crane in the way it'll be a **** fight. Much eaiser to just pull the engine and do them on a stand. Then you can address any other issues you come across.
Cheers mate, think I’ll be going for the engine out approach, 16 year old car so I’m bound to find more issues, do you have any opinions for the power steering pump?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Cheers mate, think I’ll be going for the engine out approach, 16 year old car so I’m bound to find more issues, do you have any opinions for the power steering pump?

Just replace it with a reco standard pump. If you were going to be doing donuts all the time then yes a electric pump would be worth it but if you drive normal it will last 150k + easy.

Brayden3223

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Lumina
Just replace it with a reco standard pump. If you were going to be doing donuts all the time then yes a electric pump would be worth it but if you drive normal it will last 150k + easy.
Legend, will do

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
If you're doing the timing cover gaskets, also have a thorough squiz at the timing chains, all three, and especially if your engine falls into the range of those that were packed with faulty chains before Holden woke up and put a stop to the nonsense when the first few hundred VEs (after the VZs) also showed up with the same chains problem.