Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Firewall Rust

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Well well what a disturbing post this is.
I got my decent torch out, pulled that part back exposing the metal, and all there is on my VE is black painted metal with absolutely NO sign of rust.
Am I lucky perhaps? The car has been garaged most of it's life except when being away, but has of course been out in the rain at times over the years.
I done the same as you and mine looks good too . One thing that did concern me was there is a piece of insulation in the engine compartment that runs from halfway down the strut tower to underneath the brake booster that butts up against the firewall near the plate. I pulled the corner of it up and it was soaked . Looks like the rain runs down between the bonnet and windscreen onto the insulation then has knowhere to go which is a bit of a worry. It might pay you to have a look under the insulation to see if any rust has taken hold.

Rusty09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
Given that the plate is the only part not electroplated, it gives me hope that there won't be further rust when i pull it apart.
Holden spent a fortune on engineering and i cant believe they didnt forsee this problem.
All the years of a labeling Holdens as rustbuckets clearly didnt make a difference.

My wifes Hyundai is close to 10 years old and is has no signs of corrosion anywhere.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If the corrosion in this plate has the potential to weaken the brake pedal mounting as Fu suggests, and the problem is common to VE's, imagine the number of vehicles on the road now which could be seriously at risk. Imagine too the potential for cars being knocked back at rego time once the motor trade becomes more aware of the extent of the problem.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
If the corrosion in this plate has the potential to weaken the brake pedal mounting as Fu suggests, and the problem is common to VE's, imagine the number of vehicles on the road now which could be seriously at risk. imagine too the potential for cars being knocked back at rego time once the motor trade becomes more aware of the extent of the problem.

Imagine Holden running to the bankruptcy court following a class action from VE owners.

350,000+ cars x their quoted $7,600 to fix.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I done the same as you and mine looks good too . One thing that did concern me was there is a piece of insulation in the engine compartment that runs from halfway down the strut tower to underneath the brake booster that butts up against the firewall near the plate. I pulled the corner of it up and it was soaked . Looks like the rain runs down between the bonnet and windscreen onto the insulation then has knowhere to go which is a bit of a worry. It might pay you to have a look under the insulation to see if any rust has taken hold.
Just took a look at mine from under the bonnet.
It’s perfectly dry and what I can see there is no sign of rust on that plate.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Some VE S2 and VF have that sound insulation panel and the smaller one behind the booster omitted. (Maybe for cost more than design)

Rusty09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
Couldnt agree more VS5.0 or maybe it will be a safety recall.
see attached invoice from Holden. They also charged me $160 to advise me that my car is fcked

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Couldnt agree more VS5.0 or maybe it will be a safety recall.
see attached invoice from Holden. They also charged me $160 to advise me that my car is fcked

Good to see you're telling your friends how they met your expectations too.

Rusty09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
I seen that on the bottom of the invoice to

It’s hard to laugh.

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Can that piece of insulation be removed and left off.