Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First new car - VF Calais

Bradvfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hi guys, I need some info/help.

After reading several threads regarding the first 3000km service and oil changes I asked my local dealership if they change the oil in the 3000km service (which i have booked for next week). The guy behind the counter said "no" however getting advise from this forum I ask if that was "recommended"?. The guy said it doesn't get changed until the 15,000km service.

What has been everyone's experience at their 3,000km service regarding oil change?

Should I demand it be changed?

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The service manual for my VF SSV sedan lists the oil and filter change at 3000km service.

_Jay_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VF Clubsport R8
^^ Wow... I'm shocked, you'd expect more from a reputable brand like Toyota. Shonky dealers, that's pathetic. I hope they've changed their act.
Sorry to hear that, but my question is, how was your relationship with them after you reported them to HQ?
Was it awkward having your car serviced there afterwards?

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
yes and no-lol
some of the shonky's were moved on or fired for a better word and replaced by others,they weren't much better imo
Toyota itself was good,could not fault the car,was just the after sales service and service department,after the 3 years of Toyota cheap services was done I took it to my local mechanic and had no problems,then did the small things myself,i traded the aurion as it was due for a big 1k+ service
I would not recommend going to that particular service centre again though,the biggest problem I face around here is there is only 2 main dealers which have a monopoly so there isn't a lot of dealer service centres unless I want to drive half an hour or so to the next closest one which is ok,however then I have to find things to do while the cars being done,which is why I went back to a slightly older car being the ss as most things I can do myself,as an example just to change the plugs on the aurion the whole throttle body and half the inlet manifold needs to come off to access the plugs up against the firewall,which in all honesty I couldn't be bothered doing-lol

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
The service manual for my VF SSV sedan lists the oil and filter change at 3000km service.

I would follow that,i had the oil in my last 2 new cars changed at 1500 for the imported 4wd because it had been on a boat etc,was also recommended by the salesman,the aurion I did at 3000 because that's when the dealership said they would do the first check of everything etc,howver when I checked the book the free service voucher from Toyota said it should be done at 1000.quizzed dealer and was told that's not necessary,rang Toyota as previously stated and was told it should have been done.i had the oil and filter changed then as that way Toyota pays for the labour and I just paid for the parts:blah blah:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
^^ Wow... I'm shocked, you'd expect more from a reputable brand like Toyota. Shonky dealers, that's pathetic. I hope they've changed their act.

^^^^ Wow... I'm shocked that you would describe Toyota as a reputable brand. No better than any of the others IMO and bordering on down right disreputable in some respects. Btw - Subaru have ditched the 3000 oil change too.

_Jay_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VF Clubsport R8
^^^^ Wow... I'm shocked that you would describe Toyota as a reputable brand. No better than any of the others IMO and bordering on down right disreputable in some respects. Btw - Subaru have ditched the 3000 oil change too.

So if Toyota isn't a reputable brand what are they? And what brand is your definition of reputable?

I see you have a Toyota as do I... So far I've been happy with them.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
So if Toyota isn't a reputable brand what are they? And what brand is your definition of reputable?

I see you have a Toyota as do I... So far I've been happy with them.

I know several working for Toyota HQ (and a few at Holden). Google the Toyota recall crisis for a start. What was actually reported in the media was only the tip of the iceberg and the lengths that management went to bury the problems world wide was astonishing.

_Jay_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VF Clubsport R8
I read wikipedia's version of events.
By and large, I still stand by my comment..
You'd expect a brand like Toyota to rotate your tyres correctly and record correct brake pad measurements.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
TBH, there is no need to baby it. Load it up, just don't thrash it. No need to hit the limiter but the best way to bed in the piston rings is to load them up. Daily driving, even regular stop/start type stuff doesn't really load the engine up that much.

If you watch a motor sport engine been run in on a dyno, the engine is put through moderate to high loads, working through the RPM range (without thrashing it) until the engine stops fuming out of the rocker covers (the rings have sealed up).

Back in the early days of the LS motors, some owners were advised to take fairly much brand new cars down the 1/4 mile. It either sealed up or it didn't and it needed the rings done. Either that, or by the time you have had the car a few years and close to running out of warranty the engine consumed a lot of oil and still needed to have the engine out/replaced. A lot of engines were replaced in that era. The story I hear is that GM used a low tension ring pack to reduce friction (improve efficiency), unfortunately these didn't seal up as well, it was also a problem more common to manual equipped cars which have the ability to engine brake a lot more which puts a lot of vacuum in the cylinders and loads the rings up in the opposite direction. Hence the reason about not down shifting to slow the vehicle.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
I read wikipedia's version of events.
By and large, I still stand by my comment..
You'd expect a brand like Toyota to rotate your tyres correctly and record correct brake pad measurements.

I did and as stated before Toyota were fine and a pleasure to deal with,the service department was the problem
I would buy another one but not from the same dealer