Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FITTING A NEW BATTERY

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
Smart alternators and the charging algorithms do some weird things. This is a snapshot of mine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210731-073924.png
    Screenshot_20210731-073924.png
    285.7 KB · Views: 128

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
This is the wife's Corolla with a non smart alternator.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210731-075709.png
    Screenshot_20210731-075709.png
    296.4 KB · Views: 106

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Just had the NRMA fit a new battery to my VF2 Calais V8. All OK according to their readout on the day. On the road afterwards the voltage readout initially varied between 12.5 and 14.5. the readout now seems to have settled at 15. Is this a good reading or should it be lower bearing in mind this is a brand new battery

it will be fine, the vehicle will charge the battery at different voltages as you drive 14 to 15 is the normal range.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
it will be fine, the vehicle will charge the battery at different voltages as you drive 14 to 15 is the normal range.

Yes,ours never deviates off 14.8v no matter what and i have tried different voltmeters,the cigarette lighter plug in type.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
When you test your battery after a full charge and let it sit for a while it will read around 12.5 .

That is the normal resting charge, the other readings are after or during a charge cycle and will drop soon after the engine is stopped.

IT'S residual charge only.

Last edited:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Just don't pull the drain tube out. You will need to reset your brain after you have finished putting it back in. !!!!!
Yep just did this vent tube replacement thing myself.
Surprising how much needs to be pulled out of the way to get to the grommet.
The enjoyable experience made me go back and carry out this thread dig.
Correct amount poking out above the exhaust heat shield now.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Yep just did this vent tube replacement thing myself.
Surprising how much needs to be pulled out of the way to get to the grommet.
The enjoyable experience made me go back and carry out this thread dig.
Correct amount poking out above the exhaust heat shield now.
I feel it's a rite of passage for every VF owner

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
OMG YES!! That was such a stupidly difficult task. My old OE battery did not have the tube. (Think it went missing when vicpol ripped their electronics out).

Tray out to clean up the acid that was spilt - Tray back in - New battery in - Do all bolts and strap up - Attach tube to battery - Realise that body hole for tube is slightly under tray - Yell expletives for the whole Street to hear...
Do you have a wagon or sedan? I have a police pack bog standard Evoke. The only difference is, I think, heavy duty suspension, blind spot monitoring and an extra batter on the driver's side of the cargo bay. The extra battery in my car still has all the connectors for various police bits which were obviously pulled out. I wonder about replacing that battery when its time is up.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Do you have a wagon or sedan? I have a police pack bog standard Evoke. The only difference is, I think, heavy duty suspension, blind spot monitoring and an extra batter on the driver's side of the cargo bay. The extra battery in my car still has all the connectors for various police bits which were obviously pulled out. I wonder about replacing that battery when its time is up.
Yep, sedan, all the exact same except blind spot monitoring. Plus Police got a full sized spare. None of this space saver or goo and pump I’ve seen others complain about on JC.

I had a my parents want the dual battery set up for their Colorado, so they paid for the auto elec to take it out for me. If leaving it in, I’d get it tested from somewhere but given its constantly being charged and not used, it should be fine for a while.

Ironically about a year later they bought a 2015 evoke, ex police wagon. The dealer who got it after active duties ripped it all out and restored the trims. Parents only realised it was a Police car because of the captured speed screen in the DIC.