Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 flat spot, changed ignition and injectors now what?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
TBH if you're not going to bother zero decking the block and working out the CR properly when you're building an engine, then you're not too concerned with performance at all. With cams, if you're tossing up between two or more, it's usually best to go for the smaller one. Over camming an engine will make you hate it forever lol

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
I wasn't overly concerned about power, not on my budget. plan was for new internals flat tops and a mild cam.

Doesn't matter, there doesn't seem to be any worn lifters. There was a couple that had circles on them, the majority just had, like a tarnished spot. What I did notice was the amount of oil everywhere, how much tends to dribble into the ports when the manifold is removed? Because all the inlet ports were soaked in it, even a couple had puddles on the valves. It was using a bit of oil but never noticed any smoke. The breather outlet on the passenger side rocker cover was leaking oil, the dipstick was aswell even though it has 2 'o' rings on it, the throttle body was coated in oil (thin film)from the back of the butterfly back. There was also a definite miss at idle. What now, put it back together with new gaskets and see what happens?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
What does the manifold gasket look like? Was it sealing? Sounds like it probably had a vacuum leak from the bottom of the manifold and sucking oil from the valley. How much was taken off the heads? My guess is that the manifold was bottoming out on the block before sealing on the heads. You need to sit the manifold on without the gaskets and see if there is a gap at the front of the engine where the intake manifold meets the engine block. If there is little to no gap, that's the problem.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
did you put a straight edge accross the lifters or stand them on a flat surface they should wobble around on the centre of the base if they are flat they have allready lost a lot of material off the base

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gasket looked ok. Wasn't stuck to the heads much. The heads have been played with before, valves replaced, ported and the motor had a cam in it. I'll check tomorrow arvo with it in place without any gaskets. I'll check the bottoms of the lifters aswell.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gasket looked ok. Wasn't stuck to the heads much. The heads have been played with before, valves replaced, ported and the motor had a cam in it, I'll check tomorrow arvo with the manifold in place without any gaskets. I'll check the bottoms of the lifters aswell.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
You need to sit the manifold on without the gaskets and see if there is a gap at the front of the engine where the intake manifold meets the engine block. If there is little to no gap, that's the problem.
30thou.
did you put a straight edge accross the lifters or stand them on a flat surface they should wobble around on the centre of the base if they are flat they have allready lost a lot of material off the base
I checked a couple. They were fine.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

how did you get that measurement? you know the gap we're talking about yeah? once youve cleaned up all your gasket surfaces and sat the intake in place 'metal-on-metal' the bit where ive drawn a rectangle should have a visable gap. 0.03" isnt much, it should be like 1-2mm if you plan on using the rubber gasket.

174203d1409009504-flat-spot-changed-ignition-injectors-now-what-gap1.jpg

if it is only .030" then youll have to ditch the gasket and just use rtv otherwise the intake will sit too high and it wont seal.

gap1.jpg

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep that's how I measured it, metal on metal and used a 0.030 feeler gauge. I was using a cork gasket there. I didn't think the inlet gasket was very squished. Fingers crossed that was the problem.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gasket replaced and picked up a set of street terra adjustable rollers new In box for $430. So got it all back together and the flat spot has been replaced by the loss of a cylinder, it's only running on 7 cylinders now.