Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Foaming VP -2009 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
beehive? is that just a cool guy term for double springs?:p

nah i think hes referring to the type of valve spring that have more of an oval shape to them, looking like a beehive

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah beehive springs are shaped like that, the coils change diameter as you go up. With normal springs they get a weird resonance going on and end up freaking out and wobbling all over the place at high speeds, which lets the lifters pump up and that holds the valves open (lifter pump up/(valve float)) and then you loose power. But the beehive shape tend to cancel out the resonace as the spring compresses and unloads. They are worth roughly +800 rpm over the same pressure normal shaped spring. So they are a very good thing. LS1's run them as a standard spring. Here's a video about it where you can see the standard shaped springs letting the valves bounce vs a beehive keeping them stable. Normaly springs are ok to 6000 rpm, but behives will take you to 6800 on most hydraulic cams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wL5yZTt-c

3k73ma3o95P75Rf5Sf98a70f405c8c0e2179d.jpg

Beehive kit for LT1's

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Thats very interesting to know Jason, I learn something new every day! This thread really is awesome.

Cheers
MaT

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Should be good info for you Hozy, since your someone that's not scared of a rev :). Mostly everone with 5 litres get a bit weak at the knees when it comes to 6000 rpm action :p

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
those valve springs and retainers look tight as jason, so much better than stock ones. What you doin for rockers. I'm still lookin for some new ones, the stock ones feel overly heavy and pretty poor all round.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I'm staying with the standard rockers even tho they aren't perfect and do cost a few rwkw, I've almost run out of 5 litres to tune so I can't afford roller rockers anytime soon :p. I'm just cleaning up the stockers and sloting them to make sure they can handle the lift with room to spare. I have a pretty strict budget of about less than 2 grand to run a < 12.9 1/4 and I've allready spent a grand. The heads will take 500ish and I may need another bottle of argon to finish the manifold :) that will be about the end of the budget

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I got a spare manifold still sitting here. I have run it through the parts washer at work about a dozen times and ran a bottle brush in a drill up the runners a few times to clean it up. I've cut the neck off of it with plans to graft the throttle body directly onto the front of it and make a custom intake/filter bit to sit directly ontop of the radiator, bit like the ls1 setups. But thats way off yet, i'll still be 6 months with these heads yet:p, the problem with this stuff is you need time - somthing i lack.

DeViLisanAnGeL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5L - 12.6@108 stock bottom end & comp
VrWagz1, that's the way i'd go if i was keeping the bananas :)

Any pics of the manifold jason?
I found when i was first welding mine i was using way too higha flow rate of argon, turned out i could use half what i set it at and still weld successfully.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
hey jason, those rocker shims, where do they fit. Do they sit under the aluminium rocker retainer thing to lift the whole rocker up a bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.