Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford's new Coyote V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
by all that techno crap i mean double overhead cams, ive heard some mates with both the 6L L98 and a 5.4 with ohc, and the ohc sound really crap at low revs, there is non of that nice v8 note that i should be hearing, both had similar 3" exhausts and the bigger displacement with the pushrods just makes a nicer noise, then again thats my opinion....and also pushrods tend to develop their torque a lot lower than ohc do, so in some ways if a pushrod engine is driven at the lower rpm it will return the same fuel economy as a ohc cause they can lack that low end torque (just above idle)...well thats what ive experienced

look at the Coyote's flat torque curve... over 545Nm of torque 2000-5500rpm (the N/A engine) and 575Nm @2200-5500rpm (Supercharged)
the LS3's only producing approx 475Nm at 2000rpm peaks to 580Nm @4600rpm and then noses over...
Coyote 5L N/A
GT_Power-625x441.jpg

Coyote 5L Supercharged
GS_Power-625x433.jpg

2010 LS3 (Corvette)
0909_07_z+2010_lS-3_6_2L_v8+power_curve.jpg

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
In that case, its not really the over head cam that effected the torque. More likly every other aspect of engine design altering that.

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
damn that is flat...i havnt seen any of those graphs, id only heard where the peak was....i again made an assumption that it was like all those buzzbox ohc engines where there is no torque below like 3500-4000rpm....maybe ill go and do some more research on this engine and be back tonight!!!

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
In that case, its not really the over head cam that effected the torque. More likly every other aspect of engine design altering that.

my cousin did the ESC calibration, so that explains why im a lot misguided on the topic........he wasnt in engine management...but hooning all day seeing how the systems responded to burnouts!

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
LOL how does any of this last page relate to the Coyote V8?? anyways, GM in relation with holden are developing a new V8, its only 5.5L, but they are talking 300kw without any kind of blowers for the holdens, and HSV may be talking around 350 with a blower.....personally i just think they should stay away from all the techno crap...pushrod v8's sound way better than those electronic gizmo engines!

The 6.3 AMG and Audi V8's sound better than any GM product.

Pretty good for an electronic gizmo engine.

Will be interesting to see what this Coyote one sounds like.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Little buzz box OHC engines have no torque because they're small engines...

Given that the AMG and Audi V8's cost the same as a small house in rural Australia, I fail to see the comparison :p.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I can almost guarantee that flat torque curve is all in the tuning. Will be interesting to see what sort of numbers people get out of these once they go mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.