Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford's new Coyote V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Ranger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore executive
Anyone holden or ford driver that hates the opposition is a complete fool, they are both good,
In the scheme of things they are childs play tho,
But c'mon guys ford aus and holden are only as good as they are because they compete with eachother and without BOTH existing, neither would be anything worth spitting on,
You dont have to like the opposition, but you should respect them

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
lol @ the direction this thread has gone.

Soop, I agree with you 110%, there is no replacement for displacement, WITHIN reason. On a road, displacement means nothing when the speed limit is 100. No point having masses amounts of power you can't put down.

This all said, F1 proved there is replacement for displacement. The turbo 6 era was massive. the 6's produced torque in earlier ranges and the cars were just amazing.

Day to day use, I am wrapped with my subaru, regardless of what epople think of looks, sounds whatever. Top performance, bugger all fuel usage and excellent handling straight off the floor.

Subaru's are great brand new, its once the get to 5-10yrs old that you should avoid them like the plague. Parts cost the world and they're expensive/pricks to work on.
Performance is on par with anything else in its price range, though I don't really think it has a direct competitor these days. The EVO X is light years ahead, and even then that's more the STi's nemesis. Which for the record, gets pumped. The STi is a sad shadow of its previous self IMO. (Diesels, auto's. wtf?)

Personally I'm not wrapped with the economy mine gets, NA 2.2 was flat out getting less then 10kmh per liter. 2.5t is about as good as what my SS was managing. 2.5t pushes around 170kw@w. So eh, 225kw@fly give or take. I think its getting around 13-15ltr - 100km. Given the Liberty only weighs 1100kg's it does alright. But I think a VR VS SS with some work done would punish it. Provided the driver of the SS could launch it. Purely due to torque. But even having said that the 4.11 final drive might make up for that.

One thing the Commodore does MUCH better is ride comfort. I've fitted Factory Bilstien suspension to my Liberty, but even still the ride is very rough. The small wheel base is to blame for this. I've ridden in Commodores with super low springs all round and they're about as comfortable as my Liberty at standard ride hight. I put it simply down to the short and narrow wheel base. I can only imagine the WRX would be similar.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Get a sports bike, and you'll be even more impressed. 15 dollars almost lasts me almost two weeks, and performance don't even get me started.

As for this new engine sounds good, i look forward to seeing this in person.

Had one, destroyed one, nearly killed myself, almost killed by a myriad of others. No thanks.

Subaru's are great brand new, its once the get to 5-10yrs old that you should avoid them like the plague. Parts cost the world and they're expensive/pricks to work on.
Performance is on par with anything else in its price range, though I don't really think it has a direct competitor these days. The EVO X is light years ahead, and even then that's more the STi's nemesis. Which for the record, gets pumped. The STi is a sad shadow of its previous self IMO. (Diesels, auto's. wtf?)

Personally I'm not wrapped with the economy mine gets, NA 2.2 was flat out getting less then 10kmh per liter. 2.5t is about as good as what my SS was managing. 2.5t pushes around 170kw@w. So eh, 225kw@fly give or take. I think its getting around 13-15ltr - 100km. Given the Liberty only weighs 1100kg's it does alright. But I think a VR VS SS with some work done would punish it. Provided the driver of the SS could launch it. Purely due to torque. But even having said that the 4.11 final drive might make up for that.

One thing the Commodore does MUCH better is ride comfort. I've fitted Factory Bilstien suspension to my Liberty, but even still the ride is very rough. The small wheel base is to blame for this. I've ridden in Commodores with super low springs all round and they're about as comfortable as my Liberty at standard ride hight. I put it simply down to the short and narrow wheel base. I can only imagine the WRX would be similar.

Soop, what year is your liberty? The 08 to currentwhich i test drove before buying this wrx were freaking awesome. Comfortable had every gadget under the sun, great price, great ride. As for the wrx, the ride is hardly rough, my wife had back surgery a while back, she has no complaints and she is very picky on ride. Even against the Senator it is much smoother on the road in suspension area. Obviously things have changed.
Your getting around 13-15 ltrs per 100k, thats very high, the car I am basing my mods on is pushing 220atw and averages just on 10 in city driving. My senator with exhaust and tune could net get under 14 in the city and even then i had to drive so grandpa like.

A VR SS beating a your car or others? Considering a 5 litre with a fair bit of work is tough to get to 5 sec 0-100's, i think they would be pushing **** up hill, with just a tune and exhaust on the new models, the VR would have no hope in hell, sure, over a 1/4 it may eventually catch, but 0-100's is where it is at :)

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
Had one, destroyed one, nearly killed myself, almost killed by a myriad of others. No thanks.

Fair enough, i never said they were safe. Part of the problem is their's a lot of people who don't know how to keep out of others blind spots, not that hard really, I've only had two near misses since i got my licence, which is almost a year ago now. I look forward to getting a bigger bike.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Fair enough, i never said they were safe. Part of the problem is their's a lot of people who don't know how to keep out of others blind spots, not that hard really, I've only had two near misses since i got my licence, which is almost a year ago now. I look forward to getting a bigger bike.

lol, i raced bikes for 10 years, i was riding before i was driving, that wasn't the issue. For me, when I get on a bike, I think I am on a track. Will happily admit it also. It is part of the reason i am not allowed to own another roadbike lol. I also mistyped part of my post.

That should read, Had one, destroyed one, nearly killed myself, almost killed by a myriad of other road users. No thanks.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's a 1998 model Minux.
Personally I find the new range of Liberty's beige. They seem to be a camry with Subaru badge. That's just my opinion though.
Can I ask where you got your car dyno'd and was told it was making 220kw@w?y

Also I will add, My 2.5t is running V3 STi heads. Of the 2ltr STi from about 1998. These heads don't have AVCS or AVLS. Which is Subaru's equivalent to VVTi and VTEC. They're just straight cams.
I don't have a twin scroll turbo, instead I've used a VF22. Which is the biggest of the IHI turbo's. I believe these were fitted to he V3 STi's.
It was also self tuned using a Haltech E11v2. So, frankly the economy could be better if I had another go at it. But who knows.

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
lol, i raced bikes for 10 years, i was riding before i was driving, that wasn't the issue. For me, when I get on a bike, I think I am on a track. Will happily admit it also. It is part of the reason i am not allowed to own another roadbike lol. I also mistyped part of my post.

That should read, Had one, destroyed one, nearly killed myself, almost killed by a myriad of other road users. No thanks.

tushay :p, again fair enough, point taken.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
It's a 1998 model Minux.
Personally I find the new range of Liberty's beige. They seem to be a camry with Subaru badge. That's just my opinion though.
Can I ask where you got your car dyno'd and was told it was making 220kw@w?y

Also I will add, My 2.5t is running V3 STi heads. Of the 2ltr STi from about 1998. These heads don't have AVCS or AVLS. Which is Subaru's equivalent to VVTi and VTEC. They're just straight cams.
I don't have a twin scroll turbo, instead I've used a VF22. Which is the biggest of the IHI turbo's. I believe these were fitted to he V3 STi's.
It was also self tuned using a Haltech E11v2. So, frankly the economy could be better if I had another go at it. But who knows.

I didn't have my car dynoed, simply said the car (a friends) I am basing my mods on. :)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahk, If he's car was modded by MRT. I recommend running the car on another dyno for confirmation (by which i mean, if it was accurate the first time you should see a similar result on another dyno, give or take 10kw).

I've always been very skeptical of MRT. It seems they can do things and get X-kw gain. But If I were to do the exact same thing it doesn't happen. I personally think they sell a product and manufacture "supporting evidence".
But that again is simply my opinion.

Another issue I have with MRT, is their tunes are generally one size fits all. The fit their products and then flash a pre-made off the shelf tune to the ECU.
Which sounds rough to me. Every car is different, you can't expect that a tune that works on one car will work on another. After all this they lock the ECU, so the only people who can access it will be MRT. Fairly sure the Subaru warranty dept. won't appreciate that too much.

It always seems to be, particularly in the Japanese performance market. The more you pay the better it must be. regardless of whether or not it actually is.

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
LOL how does any of this last page relate to the Coyote V8?? anyways, GM in relation with holden are developing a new V8, its only 5.5L, but they are talking 300kw without any kind of blowers for the holdens, and HSV may be talking around 350 with a blower.....personally i just think they should stay away from all the techno crap...pushrod v8's sound way better than those electronic gizmo engines!

Status
Not open for further replies.