Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front end clunk !!S O L V E D!!

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
TL;DR: If theres a sticker like substance on the brake pad shims scrape it off on concrete then lube em up and put em back on, also make sure the caliper shims are sorta big enough to hold onto the caliper tightly

Changed brakes, shims and rotors mid 2019 and had a clunk coming from the front end shortly after..

Checked the brakes multiple times, no success so I changed the following:
Struts
Springs
Bump stops
Sway bar bushings
Sway bar end links
Lower control arms
Inner/outer tie rods

Checked for loose bolts everywhere, checked brake booster multiple times, checked brake pedal

..pretty much changed the entire front suspension and figured I'd give the cheapest option a try before I bought slide pins which was buying shims again...

Guess which shims are the new ones and which were the old ones? (Its obvious but still)

After changing those I took a quick drive going over speed bumps and bumpy roads and.. great success, the fkn clunk has disappeared! That is until I get home and put the car into reverse and hear a clunk when I press the brake....

Gave up for a bit and bought hubs, couldn't get leverage on the 10mm hex without removing the LCA so gave up on that but figured I'd try one more thing; the shims on the back of the brake pads had what appeared to be a sticker which sorta made it hard to put the caliper on so I took the shims out and scraped the sticker-like chit off on the concrete and lubed them up with ceramasil when I put em back on and after a year and a half and a couple grand later the total cost to fix the clunking only needed to be $50 for the caliper shims..

I have now realised theres a clunk coming from the rear end when going over bumps though...

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Have you changed the strut tops themselves? I hear strut tops (ie the bits at the top with the bearings in them for your steering) tend to go pretty often.

Swap out for some Nolathanes if you can.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Better Still,

Try SuperPro, you wont look back,
You only need to spend the money once !