Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunk felt when I press the brake pedal...

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Done it since I got the car and Tbh have just got used to it, but I *think* it's getting worse so wanna fix it up.

Best way to describe it is if you imagine one bolt on a brake calliper is loose, you get a bit of a clunk while the brake pedal is pressed and the pad grabs the disc.... kinda thing.

Cars auto and I can pull away rolling and press brake and it'll do this clunk every time.....

Exept!!... in reverse. Only realised the other day and had the car over a year but yeah don't do it in reverse.

Now the weird bit. I took both front wheels off and tightened up ANYTHING I could. A pull on this, a shove of that and nothing moved or seemed to give.

I *think* I have an engine mount knackered or playing up tho as I can feel that too, could the press of a brake and a loose engine mount cause this clunk? Gonna do the trick of filming the engine bay when in gear and holding brake with a little throttle trick. Did that on my SS with suspected engine mount failure and man the engine moved so much lol. Expecting the same and Tbh gonna go do it now...

Just curious as to any thoughts as I swore I was gonna take a wheel off and find one of the brake callipers loose or something but no, everything is tight.

Wanna sort it tho...

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
OK to my untrained eye I reckon that mount on the right facing into the engine bay is rooted. In 'drive' it turns the engine one way and you see the movement. In reverse it turns the engine the other way and there seems to be heaps more resistance and less flex...

I think, but reckon someone here will know for sure.

Say yes. I have a brand new spare!... :D

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Clunk on break is either pads/caliper moving if it's floating style setup, or caliper loose. Engine mounts may be related but I have doubts considering you can replicate it with the brake pedal.

On those rare occasions where a bolt without a shank have been installed allowing the caliper to rock ever so slightly on movement.

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Clunk on break is either pads/caliper moving if it's floating style setup, or caliper loose. Engine mounts may be related but I have doubts considering you can replicate it with the brake pedal.

On those rare occasions where a bolt without a shank have been installed allowing the caliper to rock ever so slightly on movement.
Yeah and why I took wheels off individually and checked everything, but didn't take the brake calliper apart so might have a look again tomorrow.

Only doing it with fwd motion and don't in reverse makes it seem like brake related too hey...

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Replacing the passenger may sort it.

But, they both have some age on them now so while your in there.
Yeah fair enough. It's just I have one in the garage as got a set and only used one before on me SS..

I'll swap it out over the weekend, thanks

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
OK to my untrained eye I reckon that mount on the right facing into the engine bay is rooted. In 'drive' it turns the engine one way and you see the movement. In reverse it turns the engine the other way and there seems to be heaps more resistance and less flex...

I think, but reckon someone here will know for sure.

Say yes. I have a brand new spare!... :D

Did you have to hold your foot on the brake to get the engine to flex? I want to test mine but I don't know if I can being a manual as I assume it will stall?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Did you have to hold your foot on the brake to get the engine to flex? I want to test mine but I don't know if I can being a manual as I assume it will stall?
Ride the clutch & toe heel the brake & accelerater.