Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front springs lower than SSL?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The way I see it is that if you hit a bump (in identical cars at the same speed but one with lowered suspension) than the same amount of energy is absorbed and released by the spring/damper hence the reason for the higher (or harder) spring rate and matched firmer damper on the lowered car as it has to absorb that energy using less suspension travel.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
The way I see it is that if you hit a bump (in identical cars at the same speed but one with lowered suspension) than the same amount of energy is absorbed and released by the spring/damper hence the reason for the higher (or harder) spring rate and matched firmer damper on the lowered car as it has to absorb that energy using less suspension travel.

I bet I could have said this same thing using twice as many words but still typed faster......go to bed.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
But because the spring has a higher rate, it would absorb that energy more efficiently (thus only compressing 2" using your example), so when it rebounds, it also has less energy to release. No, scrap that, as the energy is kinetic, not thermal so it can't be "absorbed", rather stored and released.

I get what you are saying.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Conservation of energy, overall more 'Impulse' in the lowered car (Basically more bang, because same amount of force over less time or distance)