Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Experiment with a 6L

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
How about you go and spend $50,000 on a new SS, and then go against manufacturers recommendations (and void your warranty), and run a 91 octane fuel test yourself.

Holden website says you can use 91 in gen4 - so go argue with holden if you know better than them.

Previous newspaper tests have shown 91 to be the cheapest fuel per kilometer so I am interested.

Last edited:

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
Well I've tried e10 previously and found that to run really badly (to the point where I won't put it in unless I'm desperate). Not much 91 around Canberra without ethanol in it so might be a tad hard. I think the mobil in giralang still has it so I'll give it a try next fill up. I'm also tossing up doing vPower from shell but I've never had good experiences with shell in the past.

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
OK guys updated the first post with new results for 91 unleaded from 7/11 (mobil)

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Interesting that it has shown higher Avg Distance per tank on the 91. I reckon with the better fuels I tend to drive the car a bit harder 'cos it is more fun :)

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
I usually find I drive em easier on 98 coz I don't have to floor it to get it to move

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I had been running Shell V-Power as fuel in mine right from its factory fill, but the last drop I put in was a base brand 95 and I am surprised to note that it runs much smoother on this than the V-Power when I am running petrol.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I usually find I drive em easier on 98 coz I don't have to floor it to get it to move
Fair enough...so why do you think you are getting better economy on, in theory, lower octane fuels?

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
and how does your results compare with the trip computer? I know my computer reads different to my actual usage.

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
Fair enough...so why do you think you are getting better economy on, in theory, lower octane fuels?

Guessing it must be better than the label. The Ron numbers are minimums supposedly.

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
and how does your results compare with the trip computer? I know my computer reads different to my actual usage.

I'm not really going off the trip computer except for distance per tank because the goal was finding the best running fuel for the least cost. I've done some quick calculations but they're out because of the averages involved. From the data I have, I'm getting between 11.7-14.9L/100km. My trip computer has read 10's to high 16's so after factoring that my data is slightly inaccurate due to the fact I've averaged my fuel use to 62L per fill it's pretty accurate (safe to say within 1L of the readout).