Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Experiment with a 6L

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
Not in NSW anymore its not, and if the car manufacturers and oil co's get their way, nor will it be anywhere else in Australia soon.

its all good mate, just as the federal govt says they wont do something and then do it anyway, our newish nsw govt gave a flip (and a stay of execution) to the upcoming changed petrol regulations (which was never designed to get rid of 91 but was going to add ethanol to it). so you can still buy (and in the future) 91 petrol that has exactly the same energy content per litre as straight 98 fuel. (Calorific value if you like - of course RON varies but that is by definition)

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Any chance of a comparison between the big 98 octane brands/fuels?

So far it seems BP ultimate is the best?

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Any chance of a comparison between the big 98 octane brands/fuels?

So far it seems BP ultimate is the best?

be careful what you want to actually find out as it will get very messy very quickly. For example, if you live in Tasmania then all your Mobil fuel is rebranded Shell from the Shell Geelong refinery. Whereas for you in Western Australia your Shell is not made by Shell at all - rebranded under buy-sell arrangements that all four refiners in oz have. Shell rarely imports product to WA. BP runs the refinery near you at Kwinana - the ONLY refinery in WA (except BP can also import through its terminal at Kewdale when it maybe wants to get a little of the Malaysian or Korean product). So take a guess what your Shell product really is in WA.........

Last edited:

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
FWIW e10 is 94 RON. Close yxyx64, BP has no refinery in Vic, so most of BPs product comes out of Mobil Terminal with BP additives. Whereas in Brissy, there is no Mobil Refinery, so they load out of BP with their additives on top.

About the only one down south that actually only sells what they produce, is Shell, but funnily enough, Shell don't own any servo's, Coles Express are owned by Wesfarmers, and if it is a Shell servo that is no Coles Express, you can not buy V Power there, oh and Coles Express don't sell e10 (or e-anything) in Vic anymore, like yxyx54 said, starting to get messy and thats just the start of it lol.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
FWIW e10 is 94 RON. Close yxyx64, BP has no refinery in Vic............

FROGSTA lives in Cockburn. Read the reply again and you will see the BP/Shell reference is Western Australia based for FOGSTA. I do love it though when the facts turn the whole premise of the arguement inside out. Pity then a lot of people will not believe people like us Loaded Dice. I think I see where you are going with BP VIC but I'm pretty sure in spite of Altona that all Tasmania Mobil is Shell supplied from Geelong.

I would still like the OP to do a trial on 91 and see what happens. He does need to price adjust though as the test is now taking long enough that the original prices have crept up (adjust for inflation if you like - or bracket creep if you prefer).

Last edited:

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I would still like the OP to do a trial on 91 and see what happens.

How about you go and spend $50,000 on a new SS, and then go against manufacturers recommendations (and void your warranty), and run a 91 octane fuel test yourself.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Doesn't the manual also say not to use ethanol fuels? Thus voiding your warranty?

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Doesn't the manual also say not to use ethanol fuels? Thus voiding your warranty?

No idea. But I'm sure if you took your car to Holden under warranty with a ####ed engine with the wrong fuel in it, they might have some words to say.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
How about you go and spend $50,000 on a new SS, and then go against manufacturers recommendations (and void your warranty), and run a 91 octane fuel test yourself.

The handbook for my MY12 Redline ute states it can be run on E10, E85, 91, 95 and 98.

Its rated output(260kw auto, 270kw manual) is with 95 octane.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
FROGSTA lives in Cockburn. Read the reply again and you will see the BP/Shell reference is Western Australia based for FOGSTA. I do love it though when the facts turn the whole premise of the arguement inside out. Pity then a lot of people will not believe us. I think I see where you are going with BP VIC but I'm pretty sure in spite of Altona that all Tasmania Mobil is Shell supplied from Geelong.

Yeah sorry, perhaps you were editing your post while I was replying, but regardless, I'm sure that there are people outside WA reading this thread with interest.