Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel flex sensor location

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Model isn’t really relevant as the engine was changed by the previous owner (and we don’t know to what standard the work was done to preserve the appropriate bloodline). So now it’s a hybridised bastard variant.

evBenji’s post below

PS: I didn’t take any post as being ”sly dog”…
Exactly, and if it is a Series I then it wouldn't have had one originally and may not have had one fitted by the PO.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Maybe VS5.0 should understand what I have said before going the sly dog route that he often takes.

Highlighting missed info is sly dog ?

Something about chips and shoulders.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Its a 2011 series 2 calais wagon with a LFX swapped in from an LLT

Are we saying that if its E10 only capable, because it doesnt have an e85 sticker, then it shouldn't need a fuel flex sensor?

Therefore the scan error has misled me to think its a fuel flex error P0178 but it doesn't even have a fuel flex or doesn't need one?

Ive been chasing a bug where when it starts going up hills it staggers and spits....new sparks, new coils, some liquid molly, some 98 fuel hasnt fixed it

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Its a 2011 series 2 calais wagon with a LFX swapped in from an LLT

Are we saying that if its E10 only capable, because it doesnt have an e85 sticker, then it shouldn't need a fuel flex sensor?

Therefore the scan error has misled me to think its a fuel flex error P0178 but it doesn't even have a fuel flex or doesn't need one?

Ive been chasing a bug where when it starts going up hills it staggers and spits....new sparks, new coils, some liquid molly, some 98 fuel hasnt fixed it
You can’t just throw parts at it hoping it will fix the problem. You need to diagnose the issue and that may have start with examining the installation of the LFX into your series 2 Calais…

You may need to look at a stock standard series 2 LLT Calais and compare fuel system and ECU wiring and ECU/TCU calibration against a stock standard series 2 LFX Calais just to understand the differences then ensure all relevant bits have been done during the conversion to bring it up to factory spec..

Else just jumping into the factory diagnostic flow chart can have you chasing your tail, if for example the ECU calibration is wrong and is the cause of stuttering under load. And with respect to calibration (software version), GM/Holden factory service tools use the VIN number to choose the correct program calibration to flash but GM’s database will still reflect LLT is fitted… Some clever finessing may be needed and that gets complex so a dealer may not be able to help.

You can start by looking at data logging some parameters while you are driving up a hill when the problem manifests, like fuel pressure and other things but that won’t resolve core issues related to the conversion…

Good luck with it…

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Thankyou #skylarking you have been so helpful i appreciate your enormous advice

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thankyou #skylarking you have been so helpful i appreciate your enormous advice
Just mentioning general stuff really, though probably a bit wordy for some on these forums where one lines are their go to response (phones?) :rolleyes:

Wish I could say look at widget X and give it a shake and it should work after that… but modern cars aren’t so simple :confused:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lex