Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'fuel gage error' displayed, ute wont start

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Can be any number of things, went thru a long list with my dads car.

My dad had his ECU replaced, but 2 weeks later the car did the same thing. What it turned out to be in the end is the bottom of the ignition barrel was shorting.... There's a plug or switch etc at the bottom of it........ and it was shorting the ECU and BCM etc.....

lol after spending $1600 on having the computer replaced etc...... and it happened again, it cost $60 to fix the stupid switch on the barrel at the bottom and it's been fine ever since.

I diagnosed the problem the second time as the things that were happening didn't make sense, VCM Suite says OK, but power was a bit shot....... and I only discovered the issue buy using the key to move between run and start etc....... the dash kept switching off etc.

We originally had an auto electrician come in and check the car over before all of that and he said it was fine. So yeh.

ECU or Ignition barrel was our cause.......

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
my mate just had this problem in his workshop he rang me and i went around to help him

this fault is normally one of three things
1.fuel pump/sender mra failure = with age the terminals and connections f***k up inside the tank!!!
2.relay shorts internally due to not enough power to relay (flat battery each time you crank gets worse run for a bit ok? next morning crap again)
3. failed ecm
4.VERY RARE the incorrect IPC software has been loaded (but normally here it will never start and if it does only for like 1 minute or so at idle only)

of course there is exceptions
someitmes the easiest way to find out if its an ecu (or not:) ) is to have an ecu pressence check done at your dealer [or anyone with good scan tool] WHILE THE FAULT IS HAPPENING
if it says no coms ecm then its stuffed
if not the code for mra or wiring short will be set still
as theses codes clear after only a few ignition cycles

a short term check would be to see if you have any fuel pressure and if pump turns on WHEN FAULT IS HAPPENING
if not is LIKELY TO be MRA assembley
which is COMMON in high kilometer utes and there is now a revised mra so they told my mate when his ute conked out randomly and towed to him~!

hope this info helps!~

Weekend Warrior

Waghoon
Reaction score
Website
www.streetwagons.com
Members Ride
Black VZ Wagon
Hey guys,

sorry for digging up such an old thread.

But i too have this **** of a problem.

Went overseas for four months and left the car on blocks, was started 2 or 3 times during this period with no problems. Went and got the car out of storage the other day, started it up, drove fine, took it home and parked it. Went out to move it about 15 mins later and wouldn't even turn over and got the fuel guage error. left it for a half hour, came back and it started first go, drove it a few more times that day. Then it sat for about 7 hours, went back to drive it and got the error again!!

any ideas?

Also if someone could please explain to me how to do the starter bridging trick that's be great! i currently dont have a job as i had to quit it before i went over seas so i need my car to get around and dont really want to be stuck!

cheers!

Revival

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Well I had the same problem recur last week. No start, then started and low fuel warning. Several years ago I couldn't start another Commodore and called the NRMA. He disconnected the battery terminals, held them together while I turned the ignition key. Put it all back together and voila. Told my son what do over the phone but pretty hard when you're alone. So called the NRMA. He took one look at it and said the battery and connections were all loose. Tightened them up and voila, no problems.
How did this happen. The car was with a dealer for radiator replacement, coz the previous owner had used red coolant, so I figure they had the battery out.

rabs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Wagon and EH holden
I have had this problem with a few vz's at work and after alot of electrical testing we replaced the ecu each time and it fixed the problem of the no starting. so by the sounds of it something internal of the computer packs it in

Weekend Warrior

Waghoon
Reaction score
Website
www.streetwagons.com
Members Ride
Black VZ Wagon
Ok guys getting a bit fed up with this shitty problem! want it fixed.

So far i cant quite work out a definitive answer to fix it. Some people say replace the ECM some say the ECU? im led to believe its more of an ECM problem? am i correct it saying so?

Also just rung up the local wreckers and inquired about a replacement ECM, got quoted $175 which seems quite fair, i assume i would have to get Holden to install the replacement?? is there ECM levels or will any ECM from a 175kw alloytec motor do?

cheers

madnuts

Lives around high voltage
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commonwhore
anyone found the fix for this

Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
I have had the same issue with my VZ one tonner for sometime now, however it was intermittent. The first occasion was when it wouldn't start and I had a fuel low message, although I knew the tank was full. I called the NRMA but they were unable to assist except to tow it to a repairer. I shorted out the start relay with the ignition in the on position, and the car started and ran normally except the fuel gauge did not read correctly. The problem went away for a while however after not using the car for a few weeks the problem reappeared. Up until a week ago I was always able to start the car by shorting out the start relay, however last week this did not work either. The car will crank over but will not fire. I have removed and reseated the connectors to the BCM to no avail. Any ideas?